A few rounds thru the SAFN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh on the import mark :( It can be rebarreled, though. What's the S/N range? Does the stock have any stampings on the left-hand side beneath the receiver, or on the front of the pistol-grip area? Any markings on the dog-leg portion of the op rod? Does the windage knob have a rectangular tab running across it?

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Serial number is 2899XXX. No markings on the stock that I can find and no tab on the windage knob. The barrel is made by Winchester and it has a seven digit serial number followed by the numbers "4-67", so the rifle has been rebarrelled. And, yeah, I know that the EXEL guns are rather frowned upon by the M1 community.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a typical mixmaster that went through the later part of the rebuild program. What is "frowned upon" is the presence of any import mark, whether it be Exel or someone else.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a typical mixmaster that went through the later part of the rebuild program. What is "frowned upon" is the presence of any import mark, whether it be Exel or someone else.
From what little reading I've done, the Exel guns came out of S. Korea, and the knock on the S. Korean troops is that they tended to clean their M1s rather vigorously, or as some wag put it, "they sawed on their guns like a country fiddler".

Latest posts

Top Bottom