A New Jersey man gets seven years for being a responsible gun owner.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going against the grain on this one. Jersey's law does suck...but he still violated it.

It doesn't look to me like he was transporting the weapon between residences. Colorado was his old residence and his apartment was his new one. He left Colorado in December, and was living in an apartment in Jersey by January, the month he was arrested. He left that apartment in Jersey, with guns in his car, to go pick up stuff from his mother's house.

Even if his mom's house qualified as his alternate residence, He was not transporting the guns to his mothers for storage and was not transporting them from his mother's to his apartment...he was driving around with them.

Sucks to be him, but don't drive around with guns in your car if you live in a gun unfriendly state.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going against the grain on this one. Jersey's law does suck...but he still violated it.

It doesn't look to me like he was transporting the weapon between residences. Colorado was his old residence and his apartment was his new one. He left Colorado in December, and was living in an apartment in Jersey by January, the month he was arrested. He left that apartment in Jersey, with guns in his car, to go pick up stuff from his mother's house.

Even if his mom's house qualified as his alternate residence, He was not transporting the guns to his mothers for storage and was not transporting them from his mother's to his apartment...he was driving around with them.

Sucks to be him, but don't drive around with guns in your car if you live in a gun unfriendly state.

You must not have read the same article that I did...

Aitken researched and printed out New Jersey and federal gun laws to be sure he moved his firearms legally. Richard Gilbert, Aitken's trial attorney, says Aitken also called the New Jersey State Police to get advice on how to legally transport his guns, although Burlington County Superior Court Judge James Morley didn't allow testimony about that phone call at Aitken's trial.

Aitken's legal troubles began in January 2009, when he drove to his parents' house to pick up some of his belongings.

When they arrived at her home, Sue Aitken told them her concerns about her son, and the police called Brian Aitken, who was then en route to Hoboken, on his cell phone. They asked him to turn around and come back to his parents' house. He complied.

They were locked, unloaded, and stored in the trunk, as federal and New Jersey law require for guns in transport.

The exemptions allow New Jersey residents to have guns in their homes, while hunting or at a shooting range, while traveling to or from hunting grounds or a shooting range, and when traveling between residences. Brian Aitken claimed he was moving between residences, and there is pretty strong evidence that he was. Sue Aitken testified that her son was moving his belongings from her house to his. So did Aitken's roommate. One of the police officers at the scene testified that Aitken's car was filled with personal belongings.

But whatever, just please don't send an email to the Governor or if I am arrested, please don't sit on my jury!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read the same article...

Nothing in the article shows that his mother's house was one of his residences. Nothing. Everything to do with Colorado is also irrelevent, since he completed his last trip from there in December. He had an apartment in Jersey, and lived in it as of January, the month he was arrested.

He stored some stuff at his mom's house. In January he drove from his apartment, with guns in his car, to his mother's house to pick up stuff. That is not transporting between residences. That is driving around with guns in your trunk.

That activity is not allowed for under Jersey law...as stupid as that law is, it's the law. Break it or push the limits of it at your own risk.

Latest posts

Top Bottom