A question and an issue for you AR15 knowledgeable guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me discuss the issue first. I had a registered SBR lower sitting around doing nothing so I decided to put together a hog gun. I ordered a 10.5" 7.62x39 upper to use it suppressed. I already had a 16" AR15 in this cal., but it is long and unwieldy with the can on it while getting in and out of my UTV. When I went to test fire and site it in, it is doing something I have never experienced in an AR. After firing and the bolt returns to battery, there is a distinct horizontal wobble that lasts for a half second or so. You can feel it shaking on your shoulder and in you cheek. It doesn't do it every time, but most of the time. Once every few shots it just locks into battery like any normal AR solid and still. It seems like some sort of weird harmonic resonance. The lower has an A2 style fixed stock with the standard rifle buffer and tube. Possibly this has something to do with it, but I don't know why since I am not an AR expert. The upper has an adjustable gas block so I have reduced the gas to where it seems to be properly ejecting and returning to battery. You would think adjusting the gas would change any harmonics as the bolt cycle is changing speed. When it is wobbling, you can clearly hear the buffer spring boinging back and forth inside the tube. I don't know if this is the cause of the wobble or just a result from the gun shaking. This has no effect on bench accuracy punching paper, but a quick followup shot might be all over the place.

The question I have is has anyone ever seen a heavier than standard rifle buffer that would help slow down the bolt and maybe change the harmonics? I have done some searching and while lots of places have various weighted carbine buffers, no one has anything for a heavier rifle buffer.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
16 inch carbine long and unweildly huh .. Yeah I will just leave it at that .

iu

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
16 inch carbine long and unweildly huh .. Yeah I will just leave it at that .

iu
Add an 8" can on to that and yes it can be slow and noisy getting out quickly and quietly from a small framed UTV without banging it on something. But hey thanks a bunch for the feedback. I think I understand the problem now.
:rolleyes2

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 300 black out that was doing something similar. I had to use an adjustable gas block and a heavy buffer to slow it down.could be dirty also.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 300 black out that was doing something similar. I had to use an adjustable gas block and a heavy buffer to slow it down.could be dirty also.
Thanks, I have an adj. gas block and have throttled it down. No setting seemed to make any appreciable difference. The upper is brand new and the lower has under 20 rounds on it so I don't thing being dirty is the problem. You probably have a carbine stock on yours so the heavy buffer was easy for you to get and put in. My gun has an A2 rifle fixed stock and have not been able find a heavier rifle buffer for those.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Is it free floated? If it is, it's probably your barrel going "twang". It's normal in a free float gun to hear the recoil spring boing especially if you have a good cheekweld. You're hearing/feeling the barrel and the recoil spring.

The faster the bolt moves, the higher the frequency hence the higher twang. Slowing it down results in a lower frequency and not so much but you will feel it in your teeth more with a good cheekweld.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I'll add that 7.62x39 ARs are inherently prone to malfunction. Mostly a gas/dwell time issue and sh*tty mags. Use only Duramags to eliminate the mag problem.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it free floated? If it is, it's probably your barrel going "twang". It's normal in a free float gun to hear the recoil spring boing especially if you have a good cheekweld.
It is a normal 10" free float handguard. I am familiar with hearing the spring in the buffer tube. This is way above just noise. It is a very noticeable wobble in the entire rifle probably causing the spring to bang against the sides of the tube. It continues for around a half second before settling down.