A question and an issue for you AR15 knowledgeable guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I have an adj. gas block and have throttled it down. No setting seemed to make any appreciable difference. The upper is brand new and the lower has under 20 rounds on it so I don't thing being dirty is the problem. You probably have a carbine stock on yours so the heavy buffer was easy for you to get and put in. My gun has an A2 rifle fixed stock and have not been able find a heavier rifle buffer for those.

If I remember right KAK Industries sells heavier buffers.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you verify you have a Rifle buffer spring and not a carbine spring in the rifle tube. Sounds like maybe you have a short spring in a rifle tube.
I will double check that. I'm pretty careful to keep tubes and buffers together in a ziplock bag, but I have done stupider things.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let us know what you figure out!

Everything on the lower nice and tight? I like to use Tubbs springs but I do not know if that is an option for you.

What about the upper/lower fit? Any play? Takedown pins being weird at all?
The new upper fits nicely with the lower. No slop. I've had tighter and looser pin fit on other AR platforms

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will double check that. I'm pretty careful to keep tubes and buffers together in a ziplock bag, but I have done stupider things.
If you have an extra 30 bucks or so, I do highly recommend a Tubbs spring. Same one can be used for carbine and rifle on the AR platform. I've switched everything over to Tubbs in my sporting rifles. I didn't have the above issues on either 5.56 platform, but the spring did slow things down. I have zero bolt bounce on my 18" rifle now.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember right KAK Industries sells heavier buffers.
Just checked their site. They have a 9.3 oz. one. I think I will give that a try. It's my understanding that when shooting steel case ammo, slowing the bolt carrier will help reduce stress on the extractor. Unless someone out there thinks that is too heavy for a 7.63x39 and I won't be able to get enough gas to it to run. I assume this heavy buffer is more for a 7.62x51. If it doesn't help I can always switch it over to my suppressed .308 and make it happier.