A rifle for me grandson...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. :wave:

My grandson Tater just turned 10 years old and he wants to start deer hunting. Therefore, he needs a good rifle. He has a .22 that he's pretty proficient with, but obviously a .22 isn't a good choice for whitetail.

He's pretty scrawny, so I'm thinking a bolt action over lever action. I'm not a rifle guy, so I don't know know what a good round for deer would be with a light recoil and close range, like within 75-100 yards.

Help me out guys. He has $300 to spend. If he finds something he really likes for a few dollars more, ol' grandad will help him out, of course, but he wants to do this on his own.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd not exclude them based on that. Red Ryders are actually pretty dang stiff and a decent lever action is MUCH easier to cycle. On a Red Ryder, the cycling is cocking the spring inside. On an actual gun, its just cycling the bolt really. All of my lever guns are much easier to cycle than my Red Ryder.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find a 243 some killer deals next week on savages if you can find one. Left or right handed based on eye dominance. From the righty that wished he grew up shooting left handed due to being left eye dominant.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd not exclude them based on that. Red Ryders are actually pretty dang stiff and a decent lever action is MUCH easier to cycle. On a Red Ryder, the cycling is cocking the spring inside. On an actual gun, its just cycling the bolt really. All of my lever guns are much easier to cycle than my Red Ryder.

There's also the chance of him short stroking a lever action and jamming it up. With a bolt action, you're either ejected or not. Much more reliable for a complete novice like him.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are some deals on Savage going on at Bass Pro. Rifle and scope for around $250 I think. I bought my boy one in .243 about six years ago for his first deer rifle. Worked out great for a beginner (low recoil).
7mm-08 is what he has now, also a low recoil caliber.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck on finding any bolt gun right now. Their as hard to find as hand guns.

For a Ruger American, a 6.5 Gren, 243 Win or 6mm CM is what Id go with. But like I said, good luck finding any

Latest posts

Top Bottom