A rifle for me grandson...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And he will fill out. My boy was a scrawny 10 year old and people said he would be able to handle 30-30. He loved that. Handed him the 12 gauge and as long as they were not too punishing he liked it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger American 6.5 Grendel. And he can shoot his way into some long range shooting as well with this round and the rifle. I have a buddy shooting PPU cheapo stuff and getting 1.5 MOA at 100 easy. When he runs the American gunner he is getting 3 round single hole printing off his rest. Ruger kinda made me wish I would have went that direction instead of an AR platform!:cool:

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about a Ruger American with the shorter (less than 22 inch) barrel in .223 or .243 or something?
Or the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 or .300 Crackout.
(Sorry, the caliber is O.K. but I call it that because when it first came out fans were like raving addicts about how fantastic it was for every possible use.)
Regardless of the rifle caliber you pick, finding ammo is gonna be a Lassie at this point.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A .30-30 lever gun will take any deer you can find at the ranges you'll see in eastern Oklahoma, but it kicks like a mule (FWIW, my first "real" rifle was a Marlin lever gun in .30-30). They seem to have fallen out of favor, though, so you might be able to find a decent deal on one, though this is the wrong time of year to be looking to buy any kind of deer rifle.

I never cared for them, but about the best deals you could get on a deer rifle would be an SKS about 25 years ago, when they ran about $150 for the rifle and a case of ammo out the door, but I'm told those things have gone up in price. 7.62x39 is ballistically similar to the .30-30.

You might be on the lookout for Israeli Mausers in .308. You'd think they'd kick like a mule, too, but a buddy traded into a pair of them, and they were surprisingly pleasant to shoot. This was also about 25 years ago, but I doubt that my buddy had $100 total in the them.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I set my grandson up who is also a 10 yr old with a Savage axis in 243. Worked well for him took his first deer during a youth hunt. If recoil is a issue there is data out there if you reload using pistol powder. My SIL loaded the 243 with hot factory ammo for his first time shooting. After picking himself up off the ground a few times he developed a flinch. ( I was pissed) Took me awhile to break that, with light loads teaching proper basics. After a few sessions I could slip hotter loads in it and he never noticed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom