A SWAT Raid Based On Faulty Info Kills a Man Over His ‘Huge Stash.’ Worth Maybe $2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not too long ago about 1:30 am or so on a Sunday morning there was a loud rap-rap-rap on my front entry door. Now, nobody ever comes to my home without calling first, especially that late at night, and our rural residential area just outside the city limits is stone cold quiet all the time. Nothing ever happens out here. Almost 12 years and the only thing I can remember happening is a mail box torn down during senior week once. I was on the couch in the den watching TV but was kind of sleepy and the nearest gun to me at that moment was a G17 in between the couch cushion, my usual carry XD sub was nearby tho on the coffee table. I grabbed the Glock and headed for the door. I was sleepy and usually would have gone over to the computer first and looked at the cameras. The gun was not in condition one and I didnt think about it first before racking the slide when I was only about a foot from the door, thats when I hear "Coweta Police" come from the other side after which he knocked again about as loud. I flipped on the light and looked out the hole and saw the officer. Opened the door and came outside to be told that someone had ransacked a neighbors truck and car and that they were going door to door to see if other peoples vehicles or property had been vandalized. I dropped the magazine and disarmed the gun and went with them to check out my vehicles and property. Alarms were still armed and my stuff was all good. They thanked me and left. Later after thinking about things that man did not announce himself at all the first knock and only after he most likely heard my dumbazz rack that slide did he even announce himself as the police. With reading about so many late night knockknock then door kick-ins that go on in nearby BA and Tulsa you can never be too sure who is at the door at night especially rural where we are.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you guys READ my post. I said in this instance, there was IMO neglect on the police agency, DA, Judge and whoever else was involved in the planning phase of the search warrant. I think they should be held responsible for their mistake especially since an innocent person's life was lost. My post was speaking of my experiences of being on SWAT and why we do what we do. As Glocktogo said, we aren't arguing that they need to be held responsible, they do. I was just telling you how we did it.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you guys READ my post. I said in this instance, there was IMO neglect on the police agency, DA, Judge and whoever else was involved in the planning phase of the search warrant. I think they should be held responsible for their mistake especially since an innocent person's life was lost. My post was speaking of my experiences of being on SWAT and why we do what we do. As Glocktogo said, we aren't arguing that they need to be held responsible, they do. I was just telling you how we did it.

I think one point that we are trying to make is that no knock entries are used way too often and when there is not a valid reason. The risk to all, especially innocent people is just too great to justify it.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I read it right. Where my opinion and yours differs is I think they all should be prosecuted, DA, Judge and entry team. You don't think the entry team should be held accountable and I do. We're both citizens. I'm sure if your door was busted down right now, you may fire in defense of your home or family. Be a hella deal if you were reading this and bang....you got dead because "oops wrong addy". Now your family has no recourse other than, "we're looking into it but they was just doing their job, no charges will be filed".

I'm understanding of your position. I understand the need for SWAT. In many ways yall are the point of the spear for protecting citizens. I admire that. I appreciate what yall do.

If i screw up I expect to hear about it. If i defend my life and get it wrong, I expect to be heard by 12 peers. SWAT has a obligation to get it right. I'm certain there are protocols that says the point man can call off an entry.....that protocol should include ensuring ALL information is 100% correct everytime. It's a tough standard but then it's a tough job. You know this and thanks.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Police union to state lawmakers: Don't mess with no-knock warrants
Posted: Jan 21, 2015

http://www.wtoc.com/story/27909222/police-union-to-state-law-makers-dont-mess-with-no-knock-warrants

Carrie Mills is a retired Atlanta Police officer with 30 years on the job - primarily in APD's drug unit.

Mills is now a union rep for the International Brotherhood of Police Officers. She considers herself an expert on search warrants, particularly no knock warrants, which allows officers to enter a structure without knocking first.

Mills says no-knock warrants helped close a lot of cases while she was an officer.

"If we knock and announced, all evidence is going to be destroyed," Mills said.

State Sen. Vincent Fort, (D-39), has announced plans to introduce a bill that would make it harder to get no-knock warrants.

Fort says he was moved to introduce his bill after 19-month-old Bounkham "Bou Bou" Phonesavanh was seriously injured when a flash grenade exploded near his face during a botched drug raid involving a no-knock warrant in Habersham County.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lawmakers eye restricting no-knock warrants, mandating police body cams
Posted: Jan 20, 2015

State Sen. Vincent Fort has unveiled a package of bills aimed at reforming police practices and procedures, including a proposal that would mandate officers wear body cameras and another that would restrict the use of no-knock warrants.

Bou-Bou's law, named after Bou-Bou Phonesavanh, the toddler who was severely injured during a botched no-knock drug raid, would require that police show someone's life would be in danger, or evidence could be destroyed without a no-knock warrant.

The bill also would create penalties for officers and agencies that lie to a judge to get a no-knock warrant.

There was a stunning new revelation in the case of a 19-month-old Bou-Bou Phonesavanh involving a lie. "We know that there's evidence someone lied, one officer lied to the magistrate in offering information for the no knock warrant," said Senator Vincent Fort.

Many Georgia lawmakers, along with both conservative and progressive activists, support such restrictions and state house lawmakers are looking at another proposal to ban no-knocks between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Fort also introduced a bill to require body cameras on cops, which he said, would protect police as well as the public.

http://www.wtoc.com/story/27893455/...n-no-knock-warrants-officer-lied-in-drug-raid

Latest posts

Top Bottom