A trip to my woods!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! This is a great thread. Very enjoyable to read and great that you have a place to call your own and be able to hunt and just plain old relax. Looks like a great piece of property.

If you don't mind I will give you my $.02. I am not an expert or seasoned hunter like many on here but do have approx 12 years of hunting experience on my FIL 1000 acre lease. I have as much experience as one can get living 1500 miles from where I hunt.

Edit. Stand by as I hit a button on my iPad I should not have hit.

Sorry. Anyways, I would look at putting some sort of travel trailer onsite. Some thing in the 28' range depending upon how many and who is going to with you at the property. Two other things we have at the lease that I would recommend. One is an outhouse built about 50 paces from your camp area. Dig a 5' deep hole and set the chitter over it. We only have to dig it out once a year and it is not bad if you use the proper treatment for your poophouse. Also, we have a permanent structure that is next to the trailers that is used for the camp fire. Basically four treated posts about 12' wide X 14' long and is roofed with a basic truss framing and corrugated metal roof material. It is a great place to cook meat and sit by a camp fire with a roof over your head.

As for the location of your camp I would put it in an area that would the least intrusive to any type of hunting activity you plan on doing. This area ,ay not be the most beautiful setting on your property but will not disturb your productive deer hunting areas. One thing to consider is to put the the camp out of view from your main road and entry gate location. IMO, this will keep any trespassers who drive to the end of your road from seeing an unattended trailer and breaking in and trashing/stealing things.

On a 20 acre parcel like yours I would think you wouldn't need to really make a bridge over the stream. Anything you do on 20 acres can be done on foot or with a four wheeler ( now you have an excuse to buy one). Especially, you would not want to drive all over the property during deer season as it would frighten the game off your land if disturbed too much.

I sure hope you can purchase the property next door and increase your land. It would sure expand the activities available to you as well as increase the comfort of an expanded camp area. Best of luck and you make a lot of us jealous.

Last edited:

Devon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a 30-acre listing on the tulsa craigslist for $40,000. It is supposed to be hunting land. $2500 down the seller will carry the rest. It is in the southern end of Nowata county. Search Alluwe in the real estate listings & you will find it. No connections between me & the seller.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update 6/6/12: Headed out to the Chandler lease yesterday. My son wanted to have a "Bigfoot Expedition" as part of his summer Dad Camp! :) It was an excellent time all around. I have a map with markigns for the stands and feeders etc which I advised were the spots of known Bigfoot sightings! He was stoked! I wanted to scout the hogs. I estimate there are more than 20 here and some BIG ones! Last year a 250 pounder came out of here so maybe I have a chance. We arrive at the stalking grounds and gear up! My sons first hunt!
img.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_IMG_0856.jpg

I'm the fat one on the right!

We discover cool and interesting things while walking in the woods. In addition to one million ticks!!! AHHHH!
img.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_IMG_0857.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_IMG_0864.jpg

Many deer abound in the area. They seem to mock us as we walk by. (Just wait I say)
img.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_IMG_0880.jpg

The area is huge, I am able to find a few of the stands (Er sighting spots :) ) But some have always eluded me. Guess I suck at this! Alas, I head to the area that I know has hog activity. It is like an animal highway substation of sort. There is mud on the trees all around where they rub and trails of muddy bellies all over in the grass etc. There are also big snakes!
img.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_IMG_0874.jpg

This one was under a folded up blind!

In the end, I decide to dump some corn here and a camera to see what shows up and determine a pattern of behavior for the swine. I realize there are those special recipes out there (Thanks) But this was just easy. I may upgrade down the road. I will get one someday!
img.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_IMG_0879.jpg

By the end of our adventure while we enjoyed our sandwiches in a large field the boy decided the next time we come out he would rather look for pigs than bigfoot! I may make a hunter out of him yet!

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you a few stories about bigfoot, they are what they are.

Look me up sometime, I am in Ada area.

I used to deer hunt in hughes county 20 some odd years ago.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your story is exactly why I go to the woods.
Discovery of game, old and new, critters in their habitat, looking for places to hunt.

Great times for your son, and you. Congrats for getting him out. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom