A trip to my woods!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK. So, I'm allowed to do that right? Might just have to set up out there and shoot the crap out of them.

oneshotonekill is exactly correct in what you can do to kill them with a rifle.
There is no season nor limit on beaver.

A scout beaver comes out just before nightfall and make a tour. later, the rest come out. You might get one or two shooting them.
There may be many more in the colony(not sure if that is the correct collective noun for beaver) that will become gun shy.
Trapping works every time.
They don't do live traps where they walk in, as the dens are usually in steep banks with entrance holes under water. we have had a dry season lately, and the holes are easy to get to with traps. If you want to get into the trapping, a few of us can help you out.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
oneshotonekill is exactly correct in what you can do to kill them with a rifle.
There is no season nor limit on beaver.

A scout beaver comes out just before nightfall and make a tour. later, the rest come out. You might get one or two shooting them.
There may be many more in the colony(not sure if that is the correct collective noun for beaver) that will become gun shy.
Trapping works every time.
They don't do live traps where they walk in, as the dens are usually in steep banks with entrance holes under water. we have had a dry season lately, and the holes are easy to get to with traps. If you want to get into the trapping, a few of us can help you out.

Awesome! Thanks Dennis. I have read a great deal about the trapping here on the board. Might try it. Those things scare me though! Both beavers and the traps! :rotflmao:

Once we were attacked by a huge beaver on a pond. We were in a fiberglass canoe. It swam to the side mid day and began scratching at the side. I smacked at it with an oar and it went to the front of the canoe and chewed a freakin hole in the front of the canoe! It sank like a rock! I still remember thinking that thing was coming after me while wading in chest deep water to shor! Freakin scary. It was nearly 4 feet long with tail and all!

Came back with a Glock and ended that bastage btw! :woohoo1:

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've decided to use this thread as a progress report of sorts to keep up with my foray into hunting and all this little piece of land out in Hughes County. I felt the need to check on things out there today. Had to be in shawnee anyway so figured what the heck. The Beavers are nowhere to be seen. The creek is dry aside from a few puddles here and there. Hoping for rain out there. I Posted some signs for no trespassing etc considering all the problems others have with that I suspect it will not deter anyone but I will try. :) The dates are. Off. Fixed that today. Dadgum... So much to remember.

I pulled the images off the game camera and was surprised to find these guys:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_gamecam2011sp005.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_gamecam2011sp017.jpg

I also saw a Doe and two little babies from the road up the mountain there. They looked good. Took a photo but will have to upload later.
It appears as though there was a fire! Melted the camera case just a tiny bit but still operable. Moultrie cheap camera if anyone wants to know.
FUEGO!!!!
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_gamecam2011sp044.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_gamecam2011sp048.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_gamecam2011sp055.jpg

There were many other shots of the flames as they progressed but you get the picture. I failed to realize that I had my camera pointed into the sunset and there were lots of shots of glare etc. OOPS> :)

I then tried to do my scouting etc. Not that I know what that entails but I was told that good hunters do this... Scout. :) So, I walked around in the heat for one hour and 45 minutes dragging with me a 50 pound bag of corn! Burned 1500 calories according the the heart monitor watch I was wearing! :0 The wooded area is riddled with acorns and there is evidence of deer everywhere. So, I found a nice clearing and poured the corn in a pile and set the camera back up. TADAH! My version of scouting. In the lucky event that all works out there were three clear shooting lanes to this point with a backdrop of raised elevation making for a perfect little spot to catch a deer come season! Gun season of course. No way am I ready for bow. Not sure that I am even ready for gun but will find out I suppose.

The surprise is that I see no sign of hogs. There is water there and signs of lots of animal but no hogs. Lots of Turkey from what I can see. Maybe I will get more pics from this better vantage point.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
JJ, I take it this trailer is NOT on your land?

Nope. The neighbor across the road and down a few yards. :) Would not mind having a little camper out there though. I need to do many improvements but for now it looks to be great hunting land. Bit rough getting up hill but well worth the trip. I need to rent a brush hog or something like that and cut down a bunch of growth. I could get around better if so. Still very nice 20 acres. If all works out it will become 60 acres next year if I can acquire the adjoining parcels.

Latest posts

Top Bottom