A trip to my woods!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Few more images. Here are the Deer I saw from the dirt road that heads back into the boonies.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_HughesCounty8_2_11005.jpg

Who pooped?
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_HughesCounty8_2_11014.jpg

Oddly enough I saw a Coyote on the way back in Weleetka crossing the road. Barely got a pic of him though.Big one.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_HughesCounty8_2_11034.jpg

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I wanted to update this thread. Headed out today in preparation of my very first muzzleloader season. I Added a blind and checked the game cam. Saw several does, a few spikes, one small buck that I see often and then this guy:
img.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_octobercam1022.jpg

Not the biggest buck ever or anything but I am extremely impressed!

Should I wait a year on one like this?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just now saw this thread - thanks for the story! But, you only paid $1000 an acre? That's the lowest price I've heard of lately for an acre of land in the eastern half of OK. I'm sure it's cheaper out west, but the parcels I've priced in Okmulgee and Rogers Counties were easily twice that and more. I must be looking too close to Tulsa.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just now saw this thread - thanks for the story! But, you only paid $1000 an acre? That's the lowest price I've heard of lately for an acre of land in the eastern half of OK. I'm sure it's cheaper out west, but the parcels I've priced in Okmulgee and Rogers Counties were easily twice that and more. I must be looking too close to Tulsa.

I called on a few spots just yesterday when out and about and they wanted $2000 per acre! Bit high as far as I am concerned. This is primitive land but sure is pretty out there. I want around 240 Acres someday!

Glad everyone likes the thread.

I got out to the lease spot just south of Chandler this am. I had a blast! Saw likely 10 different deer. All does or little ones. Funny story really. I head out and arrive at the lease around 7:15, a bit later than I wanted but it was raining hard and that slowed the drive. I park and begin to gear up. I Hear the theme song from Rocky playing faintly in the background! I am pumped! I am still gearing up... It takes a fat old man like me a while I suppose! Ok, all dressed up in my camo with an Orange vest that has to be 5 sizes too small and obligatory Orange cap. WOOHOO! Them deers is mine! I begin my walk to the area I predict will be a target rich environment. Near a stand that a buddy has set up. I cross the large field... In the rain... Under my UMBRELLA! (Had no rain gear) I see the clear cut area to the north where the gas company has come though and murdered every tree possible that leads North to the stand. Rocky theme song again!... Suddenly, my phone blows up and it's the wife... Rocky theme music fades into a chat about stuff. Nothing really important mind you, nothing that could have not waited. I continue to march Northward and onward. Suddenly, I am literally 30 yards from 5 Deer and still on the damn phone! Oh my!!! The HORROR! I exclaim to my wife "Hah... I found the deer! Walked right up to them while on talking the freaking phone." Her response was classic "Good, now you can come home!" Ugh... The deer spooked and ran. I had approached a pile of corn and scared them off. Had no phone call occured. Hmm.....

So, I head South, realizing the wind is from the North. I figure there will be another chance at this gaggle of deer. Down South there is a road that has what seems like 50 hogs living near a mud hole and eating everything in site. I sneak up on the mud hole to find fresh tracks everywhere. I likely just missed them! Here is where they like to party!
img.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_untitled_1_26.jpg

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thereafter, I find a spot and park my botox for a bit to see if anything wanders by. On the way down I passed a tall narrow stand set by one of the other guys. Too far up for me to sit I figure so I have brought my own little fold up chair! The view was great!
img.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_untitled_1_25.jpg

There are a few tubes filled with corn off to the right there the pigs are working on I think. I did see something. Not sure what it was but it was dark in color and about the size of a racoon at around 9:40 am. It came jumping through the tall grass. Had a tail but I did not get a good look at it through the tall weeds! Odd...

I figure I will wait untill a bit after 10 to head back North. So, I load up and head up to the clearing where the first deer were. As I approach the start of the clearing of mutilated trees there they are:
img.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_untitled_1_24.jpg

I get to around 60 yards using my super cat like reflexes on approach. :) Took a few photos and made a video of what I assume to be mother and a young deer there. Nice Doe she is! Easy shot with the Trusty .45 caliber Muzzleloader Dan loaned me! Passed as I figure it is bad luck to kill the mom with the baby there!

I then walk back across the field to the road that leads into the property where I come upon three more Does. All nice looking. Let them go too. Not really what I wanted to do I suppose. I have come to the conclusion that I love this hunting thing! Absolutely love it! I just don't really want to kill the deer. :) Maybe if they were sick, or injured or requried culling for some reason but absent that I will keep a lookout for those pigs!

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This thread got me to thinking about buying some land in Eastern Oklahoma, and I did some checking and ~$1000-$1200 per acre is about normal in his area. My area is ~$3000-$5000 per acre depending on how close you get to Weatherford or Elk City, the Binger area (where my wife and I have considered moving when we get ready to have kids... compromise on distance between sets of grandparents) is ~$10K per acre, and anything within a 20 minute drive of the city seems to be in the $35-$50K per acre range.

In fact, I found a place not too far from him that I wouldn't mind buying. The house isn't what we want, but it's more kid friendly than what we've got and would work well for us. $280K for over 200 half-wooded acres and an 1800sqft 4/2 house.

I've always said when we move some where else that I have to have an absolute minimum of 40 acres, and she likes trees. At least 80 acres would be preferable. My jaw hit the floor when I saw that 200 in a price range that I'd consider...

Latest posts

Top Bottom