A utility company locked thousands of customers out of their “smart” thermostats in Colorado

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Asking, can technology through Alexa turn on or off appliances via internet. Can it be controlled via third party. Would the government strong arm companies to have control.
Yes, yes and yes.

As pointed out, smart meters can't turn off individual appliances and HVAC systems. Smart thermostats however, can be controlled centrally. The operative part is whether the user agreement contains language that "opts you into" central control.

Some of the systems have been set up to do that, some haven't. Just understand that if you can control your appliance(s) remotely, then the supplier can too. I really don't care all that much about smart meters because the power company already has the ability to shut you off on command.

I do NOT allow remote access controls on any of my personally purchased equipment. The only user supplied equipment in my home is the cable/internet because same as the power company, they can shut you off remotely anyway.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Asking, can technology through Alexa turn on or off appliances via internet. Can it be controlled via third party. Would the government strong arm companies to have control.
If you get a smart appliance then probably so. Smart fridg, washer and drier, elec stove. Anything connected to the Internet will be up for remote control by you or the powers that be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom