AC Compressor Flipping the Breaker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too early to call Joe at Affordable so hope someone can answer this.

My upstairs AC fan was running this morning when I got up, which is unusual because its cool outside. I check it and its 81* and blowing warm air from the vents.

I turn the thermostat to off.

I check the breakers and find the compressor breaker is flipped.

I flip it on and the fan starts trying to spin and it starts humming. The fan speed seems slow. The capacitor doesn't fire, just the fan trying to spin I believe, but there is a humming. Not sure if its the fan or something else.

The breaker chattered some the first time I kicked it on. I turned it off, then turned it on while the fan hummed and turned slowly, the breaker sounded like it was going to flip after a few seconds. I turned the breaker off and left it off.

I believe nothing should be spinning or coming on because I turned the thermostat to off.

Anybody have a clue what might be going on?

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too early to call Joe at Affordable so hope someone can answer this.

My upstairs AC fan was running this morning when I got up, which is unusual because its cool outside. I check it and its 81* and blowing warm air from the vents.

I turn the thermostat to off.

I check the breakers and find the compressor breaker is flipped.

I flip it on and the fan starts trying to spin and it starts humming. The fan speed seems slow. The capacitor doesn't fire, just the fan trying to spin I believe, but there is a humming. Not sure if its the fan or something else.

I believe nothing should be spinning or coming on because I turned the thermostat to off.

Anybody have a clue what might be going on?

I'm certainly not an expert at all but at our old house the same thing happened with ours when the fan motor went out. I took it off, went to Locke and picked up a new one. I installed it and it worked great. Again, I have no clue if that's what's wrong with yours but it sounds similar to what happened to me. I'm sure someone much more knowledgable than myself can provide better help. Good luck!

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could be the cap or fan or possibly something else. Get a pro to look at it. I've seen a lot of shorted compressors from someone wiring a fan or cap the wrong way when they tried to fix it themselves. You could get lucky and save yourself a couple hundred bucks but it could cost you a couple thousand if it doesn't go right.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

My thought exactly.

Talked to Joe and he suggested the condenser fan motor has shorted on one leg of the 240 volt. The contractor was open and the fan was still trying to run.

I called Locke in Claremore and talked to Leroy. He said they had the motor and i told him I was on my way. He said I was cutting it close cause they close at noon. I get there at noon straight up and Leroy was locking the door. He said he already locked everything down. He said I could pay with cash. I said that would have been possible if you told me. I said I could go across the street and get cash as he starts to walk to his truck. I held my tongue, but I will find the highest level of management I can on Monday and will have a conversation with them about the unprofessional behavior of the employee.

Talked to Joe again afterwards and he said he would get me fixed up with a new fan motor and capacitor. Joe is a great guy. He took time away from his activity today to diagnose and provide help with this.

I highly recommend him with your HVAC issues. (918) 850-2665

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Talked to Joe again afterwards and he said he would get me fixed up with a new fan motor and capacitor. Joe is a great guy. He took time away from his activity today to diagnose and provide help with this.

I highly recommend him with your HVAC issues. (918) 850-2665

This right here, is the reason I have recommended Joe to everyone I know having HVAC issues for years. I honestly believe, he believes in helping people more than he cares about making money doing it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom