academy has Mossberg® Tactical .22 Autoloader Rifle 219 .99

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triggerhappy2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mos...pid-475605?color=Black&N=384058839+4294951388 mosss.jpg just picked one up.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We have a couple of the 702 plinksters (the non-tactical version of this rifle). they're a lot of fun. We have well over 1,000 rounds through our two. Neither like being dirty, neither like ammo that is not high power (1200fps). regular LR ammo won't cycle the actions reliably.

On the upside, they're pretty darn accurate! We threw a set of Bushnell rimfire scopes on them and can plink squirels and rabbits all day with 'em. they've held zero through numerous 'rough' trips out on the land, as have the iron sights.

The 712 tactical large capacity magazines fit our models, so we have 4 of them. They're fun for burning through but hang out of the bottom so far they make it impossible to shoot prone. If you take the 712 mentioned by the OP apart, there it's the exact same receiver inside -so yeah, just a cool clam shell (which I'd like to find by itself to convert one of ours)

Dis-assembly is a snap, cleaning is very easy and the mechanics inside are super simple. Aftermarket part availability is zero, including stocks. If we could find a wood stock aftermarket, I'd snap a couple up. But so far we've been unable to find anything that is a direct fit. There are stories of guys modifying a 10/22 stock for use with the plinkster, but there are some fundamental differences that make this quite the job. I think we paid under $120 at Academy a little over a year ago for the ones we have - make no mistake, we absolutely love 'em, even with their shortcomings.

For a couple hundred bucks, you can have that 'tactical' feel and plink till you hearts content - assuming you can find rimfire ammo for it - that is the biggest complaint of all.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
American Rifleman ran an article on AR style 22 rifles,,,
I remember it was about a year and a half ago.

In their typical fashion they rated the rifles whose companies had large ads very highly,,,
Mossberg didn't have a large ad in that edition so they rated it low.

Actually, they didn't really rate it that low,,,
Because in the performance part of their evaluations,,,
The rifle ran just as well and was just as accurate as the high-dollar rifles.

They simply damned the rifle with faint praise. :screwy:

It is merely a 702 Plinkster wrapped in an AR style shell,,,
I own two of the 702's and they perform very well,,,
One I have fitted with an inexpensive 4X scope,,,
The other is outfitted for Appleseed events,,,
With Tech-Sights and an M1 sling.

None of my friends with their tricked out 10/22's shoot better,,,
In fact at distance my 702 consistently shoots better.

If you want something that looks Tacti-Kewl at the range,,,
The Tactical Mossberg is a way to do that cheaply.

But having shot both versions of the rifle,,,
I prefer the normal stock version.

Aarond

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bet...I would have loved something like that when I was a kid. Good price for a Tact Mossy. Figured a lot of plastic for that cost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom