Air Guns a brave new world

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a video once that came out of Europe somewhere. Germany or England maybe? Anyway, it was a couple of guys that hunted barn rats with air rifles. They had some night-vision-equipped air rifles and would climb into a high place in farmers' barns. They were shooting video through the night scope and it was amazing footage. I can only guess that the farmer was paying them to eradicate the rats. They would kill hundreds of rats in a single night and the action was non-stop. Like a shooting gallery. The gunshots were quiet enough that the little vermin wouldn't scatter, but would just look at the rat next to him that was suddenly break dancing for no reason.

If I had access to a rodent-rich barn, I'd buy me a set-up like that in a minute.

More than likely it was the ATN x sight it is a day/night scope and can record pics and video while you shot and also has wifi so someone with a iphone or ipad can watch along with you.
I have one just havent had the time to get out and use it.
here is a link to the scopes http://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-weapon-sight

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.177 vs. .22

I remember reading that in many areas/cities/incorporated areas anything .22 and above is considered discharge of a firearm - or some such thing. Just something to research and consider.

Please cite the relevant statute; "firearm" has a meaning in law (and differs between Oklahoma state law and federal law), and airguns are not included in either.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
arious states and localities have different laws regarding air guns commonly known as pellet guns. The federal government does not have any laws regulating air guns. An air pistol or an air rifle is considered to be a non-powder gun.

There are many states that do not have air gun laws. The following is a list of states that do not have those laws: Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Iowa, Arkansas, Louisiana, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, Vermont, Maryland, West Virginia, Hawaii, and Alaska.

The following states have some sort of pellet gun laws in place: Washington, California, Colorado, North Dakota, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Mississippi, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

There are no Federal laws about air guns. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives states that:
“The term ‘firearm’ is defined in the Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Section 921 (a) (3), to include ‘(A) any weapon (including a starter gun), which will, or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon…’ Based on Section 921 (a) (3), air guns, because they use compressed air and not an explosive to expel a projectile, do not constitute firearms under Federal law – unless they are manufactured with the frames or receivers of an actual firearm. Accordingly, the domestic sale and possession of air guns is normally unregulated under the Federal firearms laws enforced by ATF.”

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad just bought a Gamo Lightning in .177 for the grandkids to use at the lake house. It's a decent gun, with some decent accuracy but it is loud. I have .22lr rifles that are quieter. We were not using the pba ammo. Does that make a difference in sound? I'm thinking about buying the whisper fusion with the sound moderator. Is this a better buy or should I do something different?

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad just bought a Gamo Lightning in .177 for the grandkids to use at the lake house. It's a decent gun, with some decent accuracy but it is loud. I have .22lr rifles that are quieter. We were not using the pba ammo. Does that make a difference in sound? I'm thing about buying the whisper fusion with the sound moderator. Is this a better buy or should I do something different?

I'm with you. Most of the high velocity air guns are loud. Breaking the sound barrier?

Buddy has the Gamo Whisper, and its pretty quiet.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Benjamine Prowler I bought is supposedly much louder with the 1200fps ammo(alloy) and about 1000fps with regular pellets. Speed of sound is 1125fps around these parts BTW.

Latest posts

Top Bottom