Alaska hiker shoots bear and himself with 10mm handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I know is what I read in the (online edition of) the papers, to paraphrase Will Rogers.

Alaska man says him and his dad were hiking on the Kenai peninsula when they were charged by bear.
Dad made some noise at bear, which turned to go after the son.
Son "unloaded" on the bear with 10mm and shot himself in the leg in the process.
The story says the son used a "makeshift" tourniquet but photo in the story looks like a real tourniquet (with plastic windlass) ??
Bear was deceased.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang. Suck o meter is pegged. :yikes2:
Was going to make my normal smartass remarks but I couldn't bear to do it this time.

1000009327.jpg

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People who have no business with firearms always cull themselves eventually next story please
Considering he was actively being mauled by a bear, I’ll go ahead give him the benefit of the doubt on the accident lol, and not assume he has no business with firearms

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Considering he was actively being mauled by a bear, I’ll go ahead give him the benefit of the doubt on the accident lol, and not assume he has no business with firearms
absolutely! What wasnt in the report is him saying he crapped his pants.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10mm has been my choice while camping. I feel a lot better about it now.
I converted to the 10mm as well. That .44 hog leg I carried in a chest rig was just too much to deal with. Plus the 10mm does have a distinct round count advantage over a revo when that bear is swatting one around like a rag doll.

Latest posts

Top Bottom