Am I the only one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m 57 years old and have been hunting deer since I was 13, although I’ve hunted since I was 8. At one time I was an avid quail and dove hunter as well. Over the years I’ve taken countless deer, three antelope, one elk, numerous hogs, and several turkeys. I’ve killed more than my share of quail, dove, rabbits, squirrels, and big green bull frogs (love them frog legs). But…..hunting just doesn’t seem to appeal to me anymore. There is no longer an adrenaline rush before the shot, no longer sleepless nights before a hunt. Come September, life doesn’t revolve around hunting.

Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy getting out. I enjoy seeing and hearing nature come alive in the morning, I enjoy the steam rising off the pond on a cold November morning, I enjoy the sound of ducks, geese, and sandies as they fly over but I could care less if I shoot anything anymore. Maybe I’ve reached a point in my life when it’s time to stop hunting for a while.

Has anyone else reached this point in their life? If so, what did you do to get the excitement in the hunt back.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It may be just the two of us, but you are not alone. My passion was waterfowl. Loved it, then after one successful outing a few years ago, I came home, sold and gave away all my gear, and haven't missed it once. A couple of reasons for me, but the biggest was I just found activities I enjoy more, and can do year round. But I do enjoy seeing the success of other's efforts.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still enjoy it but would like to sleep in lol but the grandsons two daughters and son in law won’t have it once I get in the woods I’m glad I came I had 3 young bucks in front of me Saturday morning and I was shaking like I was going to shoot one then shot a doe Sunday morning and had to calm myself down to shoot even over a doe so as long as the kids make me get up I guess I’ll be there

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m with @Oklahomabassin, just took a friends son out hunting that was interested in the whole process. He liked it and wants to hunt next year (my property is out of state) and that is so worth it. I remember going hunting with my dad and loved just being in the woods with him, can remember the smallest memories from those trips. I can’t wait til my son is old enough to get him in the woods

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It certainly doesn't seem to hold the allure it once did. Killed my first deer in 1975 (several dry years before that), and killed at least one deer every year since then except one (1976). I've been giving them away for many years, because it is now just the wife and I and we just don't eat it like we did in the past. Hell, my kids were raised on venison. Part of the time, they knew what they were eating; part of the time, they did not. I will not waste any game meat. If I don't have someone who wants one before I go hunting, I won't shoot one. Still really enjoy sitting there in the peace and quiet, watching and hearing the world wake up, and enjoying God's creation. It doesn't get any better. Yeah, I am humbled.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sons 27 now and I loved introducing him to hunting and shooting. We missed a lot of hunting due to year round soccer and 6 years of college plus 2 years residency. He harvested a really nice 9 point when he was 15 and he doesn't want to shoot another one unless its as big or bigger. We go out every year deer hunting and he went antelope hunting for the first time this year but doesn't want to take any unless they're big. My daughter has never taken an interest in hunting or shooting. She's 19 and is more into dance and is on both her college pom and cheer squad. Although she does like shooting my 1911 in 38 super. Hopefully one day I'll have grandkids to take hunting. In the meantime I guess I'll enjoy long range target shooting with my son. I enjoy that and reloading for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom