Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeyPapa

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where are you guys getting ammo to compete if you don't roll your own? I cant consistently find any one brand, much less enough to shoot much. I have new .45's and trying to find a factory load that works well for them is proving difficult. PM me if you prefer. Any tips or suggestions on where to dig would be appreciated. Been stalking Wal- mart for white box winchester to no avail as well.

younggundavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in a place last week.. that had some remington 45 acp for sale... if your interested I'll go back and see if I can score it.. sorry.. I roll my own... I don't do 45 acp... only thing in 45 I do is Colt.... so I wasn't interested in what grain it was... although I do beleive it was fmj... anyways.. hit me up if your interested..

WhiskeyPapa

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's close to Tulsa I don't mind going. I hope to be loading by the end of summer. But for now its shoot a little and get some match experience buying factory, or not at all.
If I hadn't picked up a little Bersa Thunder .380 last week I probably could have got a Dillion Square Deal B to start loading.

younggundavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
..lol.. sorry.. I didn't even look to see where you are located... it's not close to Tulsa... also.. be careful before buying reloading equipment. Reloading supplies have been just as hard to impossible to find as well as store bought stuff... and the price on reloading supplies are going up quicker than the factory stuff... so you might want to try and locate your sources for supplies first... unless your shooting lead bullets... there still pretty easy to find.. but primers and powders are tuff...to get.

WhiskeyPapa

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear you on the powder and primers. My Dad loads his own rifle ammo, and was telling me about the primer situation. I am currently researching using lead bullets. Considering casting my own if its going to work good. However all three of the .45s are 1911's and I have read against using non-jacket bullets. But the research is just getting started so no decision yet. I will probably get a couple cans of recommended powder and start collecting primers as I save my brass. I reckon that by the end of summer that I will have accumulated enough brass from factory loads and the other components that buying a press will be an easy sell to the Mrs.. I already have a scale and calipers and I can use Dad's tumbler when I need to.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
. . . However all three of the .45s are 1911's and I have read against using non-jacket bullets. . . .
Don't be concerned about using quality hard-cast lead bullets in 1911's. I've fired a few 100,000's of them in various 1911's. Hard cast lead can be very accurate, as well as cost effective.

The usual caution against the use of lead bullets applies to polygon rifled barrels, as in stock Glock barrels.

Most think that reloading for pistol calibers, other than 9mm, is cost effective for those who shoot a fair amount. If you only shoot 50 rounds every 2-3 months, then getting into reloading will take a long time for the equipment to amortize. .45 ACP is very cost effective to reload, if you shoot enough, say over a hundred rounds a month.

Currently reloading components are in short supply, as is loaded ammo. The problem will go away on both fronts in the coming months. It gets down to how much you shoot.

Don't fool yourself that you will spend less money if you reload; you'll just get to shoot a whole lot more for the same money.

WhiskeyPapa

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i fully understand. when i shoot..i shoot. i used to go to the range and shoot 1000 rounds over a weekend (when i had time) in the military. past 8 years been busy and doing other things. I have shot about 700 over the past month, and would shoot more if i could afford it and had ammo. I fully intend to get into frequent match shooting. Hope to stop traveling in the coming months to have more time to do so. have found hard cast lead for a dollar a pound, so if i can shoot that up, it would be VERY cost effective. I'd be out ~400 for equipment, plus cost of powder and primers. with cost currently for .45 between $22 at a range, 29-34 for take home we are talking less than 400 rounds would pay for equipment and some supplies.

to be clear the rounds fired have been random brands of gun show ammo and reloaded ammo from the range. Unfortunately our current range is Tulsa Firearms, so I have lost a lot of that brass over the wall.

-Wes Perkins

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom