Ammunition Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you carry any reloads for your SDA carry gun? If so, then how many?

I usually carry two or three speedloaders or speedstrips, plus what is in my revolver.

This question sparked a virtual uproar on the Kansas forum.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the uproar about?
I always carry a reload. 1 G17 mag for G19 reload or 2 mags for P938. 2 speed strips when I carried a revolver.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always carry a spare mag for my pocket gun that never leaves my pocket until going to bed (or a restricted area).
When getting out of the vehicle, another pistol goes IWB with a spare mag in a back pocket. I keep a Kahr CW-40 in each vehicle, so only one iwb holster needed.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why uproar? there's no 'right' answer.

I'd argue the "right" answer is that you should carry at least one reload...especially with an autoloader in order to perform remedial action and keep your gun running.

Beyond that, in terms of how much you carry I would agree there's no right answer.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd argue the "right" answer is that you should carry at least one reload...especially with an autoloader in order to perform remedial action and keep your gun running.

Beyond that, in terms of how much you carry I would agree there's no right answer.

i think 6 rounds is 'sufficient' and 12+ rounds is "ideal", that's just my humble opinion, though. if you have a gun that has a magazine with 15 rounds, you should be good to go without reloads.

Personally, i only carry 12 rounds. 6 +1 and an extra mag.

i'd carry as much as your comfortable, seeing

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With an autoloader, a spare magazine is less about more ammo than it is about rapidly correcting malfunctions in the middle of a gunfight. I consider a spare magazine a basic, minimum requirement. The same argument can be made for revolvers if one has to clear the cylinder due to a stoppage, obstruction etc...

Whenever I see someone carrying a pistol without a spare magazine (like a certain federal LEO I meet weekly) I think of the talisman vs tool discussion.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Which one malfunctions more often, quality autoloader or revolver?

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you carry any reloads for your SDA carry gun? If so, then how many?

I usually carry two or three speedloaders or speedstrips, plus what is in my revolver.

This question sparked a virtual uproar on the Kansas forum.

With rare exception I have at least one reload, but as many as three.

Latest posts

Top Bottom