Carrying NFA tax stamp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlafftablett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Federal law supercedes state law. States can't empower LEOs with authority granted exclusively to Treasury and Tax agents.

"Article VI, Paragraph 2 of the U.S. Constitution is commonly referred to as the Supremacy Clause. It establishes that the federal constitution, and federal law generally, take precedence over state laws, and even state constitutions."

Any level of law state chartered law enforcement is empowered to detain citizens on suspicion of violating state or federal level felonies. Being in possession of an NFA firearm is broadly illegal under both State and Federal law unless registered with the ATF. Having your items properly registered with the Federal Government not only makes them legally possessed federally, but is a positive defense against state charges in accordance with The Constitution. If you fail to produce said paperwork on demand you have, by extension, not proven to the law enforcement officer that you are in compliance with federal law. This leaves you open to detainment or arrest under state charges until such time as it is proven that you are innocent of those levied charges.

With that said, I've found that most cops aren't going to give you crap if you make their lives as easy as possible. If I was ever asked to produce paperwork, I'd just let the officer know I don't have it but would be more than happy to produce it if they'd care to accompany me to my house. I think most would just take that at and probably decide the juice wasn't worth the squeeze and let you roll.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Original forms stay inside a small fireproof safe inside a water resistant pouch, copies are saved to my phone and email, as well as paper copies in a pouch that goes with me to the range. thinking of putting a copy of sbr paperwork in the grip storage of the gun.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to get 'them' to order a CZ rifle for me. Knowing I would over pay.
All the guy said was CZ is in disarray with the Colt buy out and they don't know what's going on.
Basically he spent more time telling me what he could NOT do instead of even making a little effort to tell me what he COULD do.
Order it on line and had it in a few days and saved $100.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats fine, plenty of other places to go that arent full of fudds that are out to violate your constitutional rights.

If you have found them, let me know. I have only found one other indoor range that allows full auto fire between OKC and the Texas line. And every range (indoor or outdoor) I have ever fired full auto on has asked to see paperwork of one form or another.

Even had the local sheriff show up at one shoot on private land.
Did I HAVE to show him the paperwork? Probably not.

Had Highway patrol show up when a couple of friends and I were doing a "battle rattle" along a creek bank. No idea how they got called and I'll give them props for walking into the area not knowing what was going on. They eyeballed the situation, asked a few questions and left. There weren't any full autos there, but I'm sure it sounded like it.

I don't have a problem showing my Forms. These things are hard enough to get and the costs are thru the roof. I might be proven "right" later on, but only after my firearms have potentially mishandled and damaged.

Easy to say "go to court and sue".
Not as easy to do.
Even more of a challenge is to prevail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom