Carrying NFA tax stamp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlafftablett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep all of my original forms in a folder along with my trust inside of a fire box inside of my Gun Safe. I don’t bother to carry copies and if a range ever asked me to see my paperwork I’d just leave. They have zero business viewing any of it. From their standpoint all they need to know is that it’s all registered. A simple yes from me should suffice.

As far as LE is concerned, they have no legal right to see it without a warrant but, as was stated, if you want to be a dick about it with them, there’s will come out being bigger.

With all of that said, silencers, and short-barreled guns are so common place now that most people don’t even bother to ask. Besides, it’s next to impossible to get a hold of a silencer unless you’ve done it legally I don’t understand why there would even be reason to ask.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Virtuaguyver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what's wrong or right but I just got mines beginning of this year. Only got PDF files in my email. Dealer told me to print a copy for home. Carry your pdf file in your phone, plus take a screen shot of your open pdf files, and pictures of suppressors all in a folder.

Schlafftablett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most states actually. Most have laws that make NFA items illegal that mirror the federal law but consider it a positive defense to have said items registered with the ATF.

This basically gives law enforcement the ability to leverage you to produce your forms (that otherwise have the same protections as any other tax return) under threat of arrest under suspicion of violating state law.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most states actually. Most have laws that make NFA items illegal that mirror the federal law but consider it a positive defense to have said items registered with the ATF.

This basically gives law enforcement the ability to leverage you to produce your forms (that otherwise have the same protections as any other tax return) under threat of arrest under suspicion of violating state law.
Federal law supercedes state law. States can't empower LEOs with authority granted exclusively to Treasury and Tax agents.

"Article VI, Paragraph 2 of the U.S. Constitution is commonly referred to as the Supremacy Clause. It establishes that the federal constitution, and federal law generally, take precedence over state laws, and even state constitutions."

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Federal law supercedes state law. States can't empower LEOs with authority granted exclusively to Treasury and Tax agents.

"Article VI, Paragraph 2 of the U.S. Constitution is commonly referred to as the Supremacy Clause. It establishes that the federal constitution, and federal law generally, take precedence over state laws, and even state constitutions."
While this is true, getting a LEO to understand this while you are standing there with a 15-20,000 dollar piece of hardware isn't always easy. You can yell till you are blue in the face while you are in cuffs. And then try to bring suit against them, AFTER the fact.

Don't know if you are familiar with the physician in Wichita Falls several years ago.
Led out in handcuffs
Photographed in the orange jumpsuit
Class III firearms unceremoniously thrown out his front door onto the concrete while the press was there.
Reputation ruined.
But he had all the correct paperwork!!
Problem was the local LEOs didn't care at that point in time and afterwards, it was impossible to recover.

Just because it is a tax form and just because only the ATF (Treasury and tax agents) is "empowered" to see them, sometimes it pays to "show the papers" to the local yokels.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I applied for my first suppressor, after 13 month ( that’s how long it it took for my first SBR), my dealer called the ATF, the ATF agent told my dealer that I had be approved 6 months ago; my dealer had not received my paperwork. The agent also told my dealer I needed to apply for a lost tax stamp. I applied for the lost tax stamp via Email, about 3 weeks later I received a notarized copy ( copy machine copy) of my Tax Stamp in the USPS mail. I made a copy on my phone and a paper copy in my range bag

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While this is true, getting a LEO to understand this while you are standing there with a 15-20,000 dollar piece of hardware isn't always easy. You can yell till you are blue in the face while you are in cuffs. And then try to bring suit against them, AFTER the fact.

Don't know if you are familiar with the physician in Wichita Falls several years ago.
Led out in handcuffs
Photographed in the orange jumpsuit
Class III firearms unceremoniously thrown out his front door onto the concrete while the press was there.
Reputation ruined.
But he had all the correct paperwork!!
Problem was the local LEOs didn't care at that point in time and afterwards, it was impossible to recover.

Just because it is a tax form and just because only the ATF (Treasury and tax agents) is "empowered" to see them, sometimes it pays to "show the papers" to the local yokels.
I agree, but while I politely comply with their request I will also politely educate them on the finer points of the law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom