An argument for simple....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.....while sitting in the thinking room just now, it occurred to me that the fellers that toted pistols for protection back in the day really didn't have it all that bad. By that I mean that even while they didn't have the $2300 and up Wilson's, Les Baer's and others they were able to defend themselves pretty well for the most part with what they had. This set me to pondering. Does my Kimber or Glock with night sights really hold that much advantage over the Springer GI that I have? For that matter, I also have a few Smith & Wesson revolvers which, in theory, are even more reliable than the autos...Again, these are non glow-in-dark sighted guns, but I can hit well enough with them and wouldn't consider firing a gun at an unknown target in the dark. Surefire to the rescue.
I guess the point I came up with is that even though in this day and age of high dollar, tricked out, personal defense guns, the older, simpler styles (Colt 1911a1, 1903, S&W revolers, etc.) are just as good for defense today as they were 100 years ago, maybe even better than newer models. By better, I mean they have been around a long time, proven themselves, and, in some cases, are simpler to operate and more reliable. Will the Springer GI ever beat the Kimber for accuracy? Maybe not, but it is accurate enough for it's intended purpose. The Smith's are even more accurate than any of the autos I have.....
I really, don't know where I am going with this, other than to say that thinking about it has caused me to re-think my EDC gun. The Glock that is probably the most modern gun I have just got put up in favor of the GI. Maybe I am looking for some affirmation from other gun guys. Anybody else prefer a simpler, more classic, approach to carry guns? If so, what do you carry and why?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's pretty simple for me.

I want a reliable tool, that I can bet my life on, something that I am not reluctant to practice with and demonstrate it's reliability.

Looks, tacticoolness, none of that matters to me.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This has been weighed and measured so many times, it ranks up there with the 9mm vs. .45, the Ford vs. Chevy, the Ginger vs. Mary Ann debates. :rolleyes2

The bottom line is this. And rest assured, it took me a long time and a wise old leatherneck to convince me of such.

The old slab-sides, 1911 and the ol' wheelgun are great weapons. I have both and I love both. But when I go armed both on and off duty, I carry a Glock. I have 15 rounds in my G22 and 10 in my G27. I used to carry a wheelgun on duty many years ago and I just recently acquired the 1911 I have now but I still go with the Glock.

Why? Because the wise old Marine told me, and these are his exact words that hit home...

"Why would you handicap yourself to only 6 or 8 rounds? You can bet your ass the bad guy has more than that!"

Now I ask...if General George Washington, General Custer or General Patton woulda had access to a Glock or any other hi-cap dead-nuts reliable sidearm, do you think they woulda kept their flintlock, Colt SAA or 1911?

Maybe...maybe not.

All I know is that after 20 years of totin' "Death by Tupperware" I know what it'll do and what it won't. After thousands and thousands of rounds, I've never had ONE single fart out of it. Sadly, I can't say that for my Colt 1911 and (gulp!) my Smith & Wesson revolver. Yes, even my good ol' sixgun jammed up on me during range time at CLEET back in the day.

Those unburnt pieces of powder under the cylinder's star are a *****!

Usually and as always, YMMV. :thumb:

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GED makes some good points, but what happens when your hi cap mag fails? You have 15 rounds that are no good to you, I like my 1911, can I say that it's never jammed, well no I can't but I can say that if it does I can clear it faster than snake shat. And in all your LE career how many shootings have taken more than a few shots?

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

J

John X

Interesting question...

My father died a few years ago and left me his large collection of firearms, most of which I'd never fired.

One day I took several of his pistols to the range and I had more failures from those semi-autos THAT DAY than I'd ever had up to that point in my life. I became an instant wheelgun convert.

I still carry a Kel-Tec .380 when I can't easily conceal my .44 Bulldog, but when I can conceal the Bulldog, or when concealment isn't an issue, it's always a wheelgun. I've never had a revolver fail on me (though I know it happens.)

As to the issue of how many rounds you're capable of sending downrange, my thinking is if I can't get the job finished in five shots, I'm in big, BIG trouble and a high-capacity mag probably isn't going to make much difference one way or the other. Of course, I've never had to pull a gun in self-defense and hope I never do, but I imagine if I did it'd be over (one way or the other) before I'd need a sixth shot.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess opinions on this are as various as the day is long. Depending on what your skill level is, it doesn't matter what your carry preference is. I guess the intent was just to see how many folks carry older, less modern designs a la the 1911a1, Browning HP, or any of the S&W and/or Colt revos for self defense, either as a daily carry or just to switch it up on occassion. I understand that most consider super hi cap mags, night sights, and laser/light mounts to be an advantage. I just feel a sense of nostalgia sometimes that persuades me to go with the older designs. The Springer that I have really only lacks the larger sights that have become vogue for defensive use. Other than that, there hasn't been a design improvement, per se, to the 1911 in about 75+ years. DA revolvers have really remained unchanged since their inception and small wheelguns still sell for defensive purposes at a steady pace. Just wondering if anyone else feels that same sense of nostaglia, or if everyone is consumed with the newest-greatest.