Another day of OC Carnage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, they don't notice some ones gun sticking out in plain sight at Twin Peaks?

I open carried for the second time this past week. No one noticed but I did feel a little conspicous. I was going to the river to ride my Ranger and thought I would take a pistol. I went into the store here in my home town. Most people at least know my face if they don't really know me. I didn't notice any odd looks but I went in and filled my drink mug and didn't even stop at the register. (Free year long refill mug from the store, I didn't need to pay)

I think I should open carry until I feel more comfortable doing it. I have had my CWL for about a year and I am comfortable with my IWB tuckable holster and a pocket carry revolver.

Guess it doesn't compare to the peaks. :)

The more you OC the more comfortable you'll be with it. It took a couple of weeks for me. Now I don't give it a thought.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are not specifically targeted, say in a mass shooting type of situation or hostage/robbery type situation then You have the element of surprise (tactical advantage) with CC.
As far as the possibility of being the first target, Myth or not, that's how I see it and NO ONE short of almighty God is going to change my mind. That's just how I see it and I'm not taking any chances.
BG might see the OC and decide to move on OR he might decide to get the OC out of the way first. OC might be a deterrent in certain situations and that's a big "might". The bottom line is being armed is our X factor and whether you OC, CC or semi CC, you still have an advantage. Carry however you feel comfy carrying. WE HAVE THE CHOICE.

Your very first sentance dis-proves itself. "If you are not specifically targeted" OC has a tactical advantage over CC because it is a faster draw, no need to work past a cover.
I can totally agree that to carry is more important than how.
While you may "feel" that the OC'er will be the first target, the "truth" is that it is not supported by "fact".
As far as changing your mind, even your almighty God won't do that. HE gives you the freedom to make a choice. HE tells you to seek truth, knowledge and wisdom. What you do with it is your choice.
I am a proponent of OC. I am a proponent of CC. What is very frustrating is the CC only crowd that continues to advance the 2 main myths that OC makes you a target and CC gives you a tactical advantage.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your very first sentance dis-proves itself. "If you are not specifically targeted" OC has a tactical advantage over CC because it is a faster draw, no need to work past a cover.
I can totally agree that to carry is more important than how.
While you may "feel" that the OC'er will be the first target, the "truth" is that it is not supported by "fact".
As far as changing your mind, even your almighty God won't do that. HE gives you the freedom to make a choice. HE tells you to seek truth, knowledge and wisdom. What you do with it is your choice.
I am a proponent of OC. I am a proponent of CC. What is very frustrating is the CC only crowd that continues to advance the 2 main myths that OC makes you a target and CC gives you a tactical advantage.

Myth or not I'm not taking any chances!!
As for tactical advantages, the element of surprise trumps draw speed as a tactical advantage, I'll choose surprise any time because I'm not going to draw THAT much slower CC than I would OC and that sir, is not a myth.
That's all that matters to me.
My stance has always been, CARRY HOW YOU WANT. Furthermore, I like and appreciate the OC law. But my opinion and reasoning for how I carry is stated. Never changing my mind.

PS. to be clear, the almighty God reference was an extreme and superfluous example, illustrating how strongly I feel about it. It was not to be taken literally or at face value and I can't believe I'm having to explain that. :)
Good-NESS!

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taking what you said about not being specifically targeted, and expounding on the theme some - when the BG starts his mayhem, you are a nameless, faceless blob in a crowd of nameless, faceless blobs. Blob A is a CC'er, blob B is an OC"er. When the BG makes known his intentions and both blobs decide to act, assuming the same level of training, preparation, etc, the OC will "surprise" the BG first.
Changing the parameters slightly, and having a blob be specifically targeted, the OC blob will have a quicker response time, again asuming the same level of training, preparation etc.
Changing parameters slightly again, and having a blob be an OC'er and noticed by the BG before the BG takes any action, and statistics will show this to be true, the BG goes elsewhere.
The advantage in the element of surprise goes to the first to act. In a crime scenario, the BG always is the first to act. After that point it is all actions, reactions and tactics. Take 2 people, face to face, with the same level of training, etc, the first one to draw will win almost every time, be it the OC'er or the CC'er.
I have no interest in changing your mind. I agree that to carry is more important than how. The discussion of tactical advantage may hinge on definition of terms and control of parameters. The inference that an OC'er will be the first target is false. Feel how you want, and do what you want, but please don't present it as fact when it is not.
Not having been in any discussions with you before, I had no reference for how to take your almighty GOD statement. No offense intended.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been open carrying a lot more with the hot weather. I usually wear suits during the week, and carry IWB under the coat. Well, in the summer, any time I'm not in a courthouse the coat comes off. My holster is tuckable, and I occasionally use that feature when I am wanting to be more incognito, but it is nice not to have to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom