Another day of OC Carnage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soonere39

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
With that logic, why do cops OC and wear a uniform?
IMO, the cops are there to enforce the law and protect the public and to be identified as someone to go to when needing assistance in dealing with dangerous situation.
I carry to protect myself and my family. I am not there to enforce the law. I may or may not use it to protect others depending on the situation and would rather not be thrown into a fight that isn't mine and I didn't ask for.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think open carry is a bad thing. If a bad guy sees one person in a restraunt OC, he has to wonder how many more are out there CC that he doesn't know about. If everybody was forced to OC only (no CC) in public, then the bad guy knows exactly how many are (or are not at all) armed.
OC in public just isn't for me. On a farm or ranch, or rural area, sure.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a bad guy sees one OC in a restaurant, he leaves. To imply anything else is to ignore the criminal mindset. The BG doesn't stop to wonder how many more are out there, he doesn't do an internal threat assessment, he doesn't do a threat/benefit analysis, he just leaves, and hopes he makes it out the door. The thing that criminals fear more that the police is an armed citizen. If you are CC, then he has no reason to fear you. You can surprise him if he acts, but you have given him the luxury of starting out in a position of strength. I would much rather let him see me OC and choose another venue for his crime.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a bad guy sees one OC in a restaurant, he leaves. To imply anything else is to ignore the criminal mindset. The BG doesn't stop to wonder how many more are out there, he doesn't do an internal threat assessment, he doesn't do a threat/benefit analysis, he just leaves, and hopes he makes it out the door. The thing that criminals fear more that the police is an armed citizen. If you are CC, then he has no reason to fear you. You can surprise him if he acts, but you have given him the luxury of starting out in a position of strength. I would much rather let him see me OC and choose another venue for his crime.

I think this is mostly true, except for that occasional individual that is bent on "suicide by cop." In which case, he may think the individuals that are open carrying are cops and force them into the situation of shoot or die.

While I won't hesitate to protect my family when confronted, I don't want to be the individual that is confronted by the rare person seeking to die.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And the myth goes on. By your own admission, it is a rare person that would confront an OC'er. I have changed what you said a little, but I think the sentiment would remain accurate. In fact, it is such a rare occurrence that you would be hard pressed to find a single incident where it actually happened. Suicide by cop - yes that happens. Suicide by a random OC'er, try to find one. Again, I am not saying it can't or won't happen, just that it hasn't. This started as a random criminal in a random act of criminality coming into the presence of an OC'er. By changing parameters, you try to create a situation to support your preferred method of carry. If you want to CC, by all means CC. All you really need to say is "thats what I do". No need to find that "one in a bazillion" case that supports your position.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that there are a whole lot of people who OC and go unnoticed.

^^^^^^
This...

I OC now always - well almost. Grocery store, walmart, best buy, parks, with one exception, everywhere I go.

The exception is when I take a walk around the neighborhood I live in. I'm ashamed to admit it but I don't OC then. No reason to scare the sheep and no reason to alert the wolves. Sad but there are, for me at least, rare occassions when practicality over rules principal.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...I don't plan on doing it because of the extra attention it will/might draw and I don't feel the need.

Based on my personal experience (OC'ng since 11/1/2012) OC'ng does not draw extra attention unless you want it to. I do it everywhere with one exception (as noted in a previous post) and only once since 11/1 has, to the best of my knowledge, anyone noticed. That was a young lady pharmacists assistant who was just curious. If anyone else has noticed they didn't make an issue of it, didn't call the cops, didn't run fleeing in panic. Instead they just went about their business just like I did.

Don't wanna OC - then don't do it but considering the nature of this forum all the hate expressed for those that do is - disconcerting at best and at worst indicative of an incredible level of hypocrisy by not a few of our members.

To paraphrase a past President: "you're either for freedom or you're against freedom". There isn't an in between.

Soonere39

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

To paraphrase a past President: "you're either for freedom or you're against freedom". There isn't an in between.
Just to clarify, are you saying that those who do not OC are 'against freedom'? The way I see it, freedom is being able to carry how you want, or not carry at all based on personal preference without others telling you what is supposed to be right for you.
OC, CC or not at all....thats all good. It's freedom of choice and no one has to justify why they carry the way the do (or do not) carry. Maybe I misunderstood where you were going with that.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to clarify, are you saying that those who do not OC are 'against freedom'? The way I see it, freedom is being able to carry how you want, or not carry at all based on personal preference without others telling you what is supposed to be right for you.
OC, CC or not at all....thats all good. It's freedom of choice and no one has to justify why they carry the way the do (or do not) carry. Maybe I misunderstood where you were going with that.

You're right, absolutely. How one carries is all about choice but that's not the issue nor is it the point here.

The issue is the hypocrisy shown by some who say those who OC are stupid, look like retards, are scaring the sheep and/or not being sensitive to the feelings of others - all anti-freedom comments.

I don't really care about the guys who use the giving up the element of surprise argument because that's a choice too but at least its a tactical argument and not some specious you're scaring the sheep BS. I can respect those guys. I don't understand the hypocrites and to be quite honest have zero respect for them. Even calling them FUDDS would be giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom