Another day of OC Carnage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I think he was saying, with a semi-poor choice of phrasing, that he suspects that a lot of people don't OC because they think wearing a gun on your hip w/o a real need looks dumb, or is unnecessary. I won't say I think it looks dumb, but I don't plan on doing it because of the extra attention it will/might draw and I don't feel the need. I'm not a style queen and I'll wear some fugly stuff if the trade of style for function/practicality is worth it. I don't think it's necessary for most of us. OC is a must for most cops because it's not practical to CC. The gun is part of the uniform, basically. For Joe Schmoe, it's more practical in many cases to tuck a smaller gun in his pants and press on. Cops, due to their jobs, have a greater need for fast access to a gun. Joe probably works in an office, doesn't knock on tinted windows on the side of the highway and will probably never have a need for the fastest access.

Now, notice my post is full of 'feel the need' and other opinion based phrasing. I never said YOU shouldn't OC and YOU don't have a need to OC. That's not my place. If I was walking through Detroit or New Orleans, I'd probably want to OC...probably with 2 pistols and a shot gun. I'd probably do it when hiking in an area where critters are large, hungry and numerous too. I'd want a larger gun than I'd feel I'd need for walking down Reno and it's easier to OC at that point. If you feel the need or want to OC, fine my me. The same goes for people who feel the need to wear bright shirts, skinny jeans, or Harley gear. I don't want to, I can understand why many people don't want to, but you can and I'm not going to look down on you for it (well...maybe the skinny jeans). I think, or at least hope, that was the opinion yukonjack was trying to get across.

Well worded... Mostly. But like one part of your post, I don't carry based on how it looks.

And honestly, in a nice way, I don't really care what your opinion is on OC is, whether you will or won't, and whether you would advise others to or not; so long as you support Second Amendment rights.

yukonjack, on the other hand, has repeatedly made statements that paint him as a retarded elitist jack booted thug who feels the need to put down those who view things differently. Must be a depressing little world he lives in; but that's his right - I won't deny him that.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And honestly, in a nice way, I don't really care what your opinion is on OC is, whether you will or won't, and whether you would advise others to or not; so long as you support Second Amendment rights.

yukonjack, on the other hand, has repeatedly made statements that paint him as a retarded elitist jack booted thug who feels the need to put down those who view things differently. Must be a depressing little world he lives in; but that's his right - I won't deny him that.

On the first part: Fine by me :), even though you don't care, I'd advise someone to carry how they want, inside the law. I don't care either and yes I will, always
On the second part: I never really paid enough attention to who posts what to notice a trend. Maybe I usually look for the best intentions in poor wording and assumed too much. Either way, it's all the internet and I won't lose sleep over it.

Soonere39

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still waiting on my CCL but personally I am not interested in OC. I know there are plenty of people out there who may not approve of OC or even CC for that matter. I appreciate my right to carry but I see no need to potentially aggravate someone who may have a problem with it or who may call over a police officer to verify I have my permit. And in the event a bad guy walks into Wal Mart to shoot up the place, I might be the first person he targets to take down if I OC. If I CC then I maintain an element of surprise.
Just my opinion and I'm not saying thats right for everyone and maybe I'll feel differently after I carry for awhile.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say what I mean. OC has its place. It's place is not at McDonalds watching the kids play on the McPlayground. OC isn't needed when pinching the melons at WalMart.

OC is needed when you're out in the fields, woods, stream or hiking through other wild places. I OC on my weekly hiking adventures on many of the trails around Anchorage. Bear, moose and supposedly lynx. But as soon as I get back to my truck I slip on my skinny jeans, a muscle shirt, and prop some sunglasses on my forehead and tuck my concealed weapon into the small of my back where the folds of my muscles help hide it. That's just how I roll.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say what I mean. OC has its place. It's place is not at McDonalds watching the kids play on the McPlayground. OC isn't needed when pinching the melons at WalMart.

OC is needed when you're out in the fields, woods, stream or hiking through other wild places. I OC on my weekly hiking adventures on many of the trails around Anchorage. Bear, moose and supposedly lynx. But as soon as I get back to my truck I slip on my skinny jeans, a muscle shirt, and prop some sunglasses on my forehead and tuck my concealed weapon into the small of my back where the folds of my muscles help hide it. That's just how I roll.

:comfort:

And that's why your opinion is filed where it is!!!!

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find it a little awkward OCing, I was and am an advocate for it, I just don't think it's for me. I was dissapointed after I bought all the holsters and belts and crap.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still waiting on my CCL but personally I am not interested in OC. I know there are plenty of people out there who may not approve of OC or even CC for that matter. I appreciate my right to carry but I see no need to potentially aggravate someone who may have a problem with it or who may call over a police officer to verify I have my permit. And in the event a bad guy walks into Wal Mart to shoot up the place, I might be the first person he targets to take down if I OC. If I CC then I maintain an element of surprise.
Just my opinion and I'm not saying thats right for everyone and maybe I'll feel differently after I carry for awhile.

Funny that no matter how many times this comes up, and how many times that it is statistically shown to not be true, that it still keeps coming up. Not saying it won't or can't happen, just that statistically, it doesn't.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

With that logic, why do cops OC and wear a uniform?

Latest posts

Top Bottom