Another day of OC Carnage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also funny how most CC over OC people on here are the first to say how horrible OC is for whatever reason then they talk about how they just throw a shirt on over their gun and dont care if it prints or shows. To me that kind of defeats the purpose of trying to CC.

While I understand where you're coming from, I have to disagree.

First off, I'd never call OC horrible.

It makes CC ALOT more convenient! It doesn't defeat the purpose! It helps the purpose.
I wear my 1911 OWB on my hip and throw a shirt over it. It prints but nobody ever notices and I've tested that theory many times. Plus I don't HAVE to worry about printing now. So if it does I'm still in compliance.

However, I was at a huge family gathering last night and I thought it would be more prudent to carry IWB and be totally concealed. With a 1911 it's not as comfy as OWB but I can put up with IWB on occasion.

I don't OC but the OC law has made it so much more convenient and versatile to CC, IMHO.

Last edited:

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With that logic, why do cops OC and wear a uniform?

Well to name just one reason out of many... Because cops are law enforcement and they WANT to maintain a presence. They are not armed civilians who are restricted from using their firearms ONLY to protect themselves from imminent danger to their lives. To me, the visible presence of my gun just doesn't offer the desired or wanted effect.

Im sorry bud, mark your analogy under fail on that one. :)

I too don't OC because I want to keep whatever tactical advantage I may have intact. If a certain "situation" arises, I may become a target, I just don't wanna be the FIRST target if I can help it.

Thats just my choice. There's no right or wrong just personal preference. Carry how you want, luckily we do have the choice.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you told a uniformed LEO lately that he looks retarded?

That comment doesn't even make logical sense does it? Unless of course you dress up like a mall ninja when your open carrying. I don't know maybe you even have an OpenCarry badge on a neckchain and a pair of handcuffs stuck in your belt.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well to name just one reason out of many... Because cops are law enforcement and they WANT to maintain a presence. They are not armed civilians who are restricted from using their firearms ONLY to protect themselves from imminent danger to their lives. To me, the visible presence of my gun just doesn't offer the desired or wanted effect.

Im sorry bud, mark your analogy under fail on that one. :)

I too don't OC because I want to keep whatever tactical advantage I may have intact. If a certain "situation" arises, I may become a target, I just don't wanna be the FIRST target if I can help it.

Thats just my choice. There's no right or wrong just personal preference. Carry how you want, luckily we do have the choice.

If you had left out the one sentence, I could have agreed with most of what you said. First, there is no tactical advantage to CC over OC. Given the same person, the same mode of carry, the same training level, etc, an OC draw will always be faster than a CC draw. OC will give you a definite strategic advantage, in that if a BG sees your weapon, he will leave you alone and choose an easier target. So the question should be, Do you want to pull your weapon from concealment or not have to pull it at all. Second, the Myth of the OC being the first target is just that, a myth. It might happen, it could happen, it may happen, but it doesn't happen. The BG sees a citizen with a weapon and decides to find an easier target. I think there is a sizable reward offered on another forum to the first person that can verify an OC'er being chosen as the first target because he OC'd, or an OC'er being targeted for a gun grab because he OC's.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you had left out the one sentence, I could have agreed with most of what you said. First, there is no tactical advantage to CC over OC. Given the same person, the same mode of carry, the same training level, etc, an OC draw will always be faster than a CC draw. OC will give you a definite strategic advantage, in that if a BG sees your weapon, he will leave you alone and choose an easier target. So the question should be, Do you want to pull your weapon from concealment or not have to pull it at all. Second, the Myth of the OC being the first target is just that, a myth. It might happen, it could happen, it may happen, but it doesn't happen. The BG sees a citizen with a weapon and decides to find an easier target. I think there is a sizable reward offered on another forum to the first person that can verify an OC'er being chosen as the first target because he OC'd, or an OC'er being targeted for a gun grab because he OC's.

If you are not specifically targeted, say in a mass shooting type of situation or hostage/robbery type situation then You have the element of surprise (tactical advantage) with CC.
As far as the possibility of being the first target, Myth or not, that's how I see it and NO ONE short of almighty God is going to change my mind. That's just how I see it and I'm not taking any chances.
BG might see the OC and decide to move on OR he might decide to get the OC out of the way first. OC might be a deterrent in certain situations and that's a big "might". The bottom line is being armed is our X factor and whether you OC, CC or semi CC, you still have an advantage. Carry however you feel comfy carrying. WE HAVE THE CHOICE.

Last edited:

Soonere39

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're right, absolutely. How one carries is all about choice but that's not the issue nor is it the point here.

The issue is the hypocrisy shown by some who say those who OC are stupid, look like retards, are scaring the sheep and/or not being sensitive to the feelings of others - all anti-freedom comments.

I don't really care about the guys who use the giving up the element of surprise argument because that's a choice too but at least its a tactical argument and not some specious you're scaring the sheep BS. I can respect those guys. I don't understand the hypocrites and to be quite honest have zero respect for them. Even calling them FUDDS would be giving them the benefit of the doubt.
That makes sense. I get what you're saying.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hardly anyone notices and no one makes a fuss when I open carry. Especially if I am more well dressed or my wife or son are with me. Nobody seems to care much. Honestly I think more open carry would yield more acceptance of carrying as normal and this can only be a good thing.

Bhargrin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I open carry on a daily basis. However, I also travel to Texas a lot so I conceal carry during those trips. I do not worry about what others think, we all have the choice, and I use my choice to my benefit for the situation at hand.

I live in rural America, firearms is just a daily tool to us.

I have only had to use my carry weapon once. That was against a neighbor's dog that attacked my children. I neutralized the situation with extreme prejudice.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I OC'd to the new Twin Peaks down the road from my house. Hooters won't be seeing much of me now even though they allow CC. If anyone noticed it wasn't obvious...

So, they don't notice some ones gun sticking out in plain sight at Twin Peaks?

I open carried for the second time this past week. No one noticed but I did feel a little conspicous. I was going to the river to ride my Ranger and thought I would take a pistol. I went into the store here in my home town. Most people at least know my face if they don't really know me. I didn't notice any odd looks but I went in and filled my drink mug and didn't even stop at the register. (Free year long refill mug from the store, I didn't need to pay)

I think I should open carry until I feel more comfortable doing it. I have had my CWL for about a year and I am comfortable with my IWB tuckable holster and a pocket carry revolver.

Latest posts

Top Bottom