Another LEO encounter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got pulled over for blowing through a yellow light (it was yellow when I first saw it) in Nicoma Park last week. I definitely deserved to be pulled over, not so much for blowing the light, but for doing it with an officer parked right on the corner. It was a bad move in any case. The end of the story is, he let me go and told me to drive safe. I am not sure if this was due to my good looks, polite demeanor, CWL or the fact that he works for my employer in his off hours. I suspect it is everything but the first one.

Now to the more relevant portion of the post. After I informed him of the fact that I was carrying a concealed weapon and also telling him I had some unloaded firearms in the backseat (seemed like good manners), he requested to see my permit. I complied. He them ASKED, that I remove my weapon and unload it for the duration of the stop. I responded politely that I would prefer to not touch my weapon at all and to leave it where it is at. At that point he agreed, he asked where I worked, we chatted about my employers gun policy (not so great, but subject to interpretation) and then he sent me on his way.

I would prefer to not handle my weapon at all in the vicinity of an officer. I also will never reach for my weapon if I am out of my vehicle even if demanded by an officer. My hands will go up, and I will let them know that they can remove the weapon if they deem it appropriate, but I am not going to touch it. I never want to be seen on a police car video recorder, by the officer's partner, or a bystander to be reaching for or removing my weapon.

But I do appreciate the way the officer handled the his request and mine.

Any comments?

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just checking.... You got pulled over for not doing anything illegal and are happy you were not ticketed?

Not sure why he requested you unload your weapon...... unless you asked him to unload his, as that is about the same level of request......

Good comment on your part as far as you stating you prefered to not touch it!

Overall, sounds like a decent encounter, other than the fact that you were pulled over in the first place.......

Last edited:

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just checking.... You got pulled over for not doing anything illegal and are happy you were not ticketed?

Just to clarify, even though I was making light of my actions I actually did try to make it through a yellow light and entered the intersection after the light turned red. I was wrong.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a point to the story or did you just feel special about getting pulled over with a firearm?

I don't need to do things so that I feel special, because I am special.

The point was to describe a real life interaction between a police officer and a legally armed citizen. There are plenty of what-if questions on this forum about these type of encounters.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The point was to describe a real life interaction between a police officer and a legally armed citizen. There are plenty of what-if questions on this forum about these type of encounters.

I think it is a good topic. I have never heard of an officer asking someone to unload their gun. Why would he want someone to reach and draw their weapon? That would be incredibly uncomfortable for both. It makes you wonder if he would have had his hand on his gun while you did that.

Did you wait a while before telling him? I like to hand him my CCW license along with my drivers license. That way he knows without asking or me telling him I have one.

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both parties were quite ADULT about the whole thing. Kudos.

An encounter with a LEO while carrying has been shared with this elite group of OSAers.

I think that more folks ought to be pulled over when / if they run a yellow. It is not unusual to see yellow runners in Norman. Heck - it ain't unusual to see red runners, either!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom