Another LEO encounter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i got pulled over by a cop and he told me to keep my hands on the wheel or he would shoot me in the head..................................................................................................................................................................................................

he was my nephew

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both parties were quite ADULT about the whole thing. Kudos.

An encounter with a LEO while carrying has been shared with this elite group of OSAers.

I think that more folks ought to be pulled over when / if they run a yellow. It is not unusual to see yellow runners in Norman. Heck - it ain't unusual to see red runners, either!!!

So you want people to be pulled over for something that is legal?

Last edited:
A

av8r115

If I were a LEO I wouldn't want your hands anywhere near your firearm for the duration of the encounter. I don't understand why he would ask you to unload your CCW. If you're not touching it, it's not going to jump up and shoot him all by itself.

BTW, do you know the definition of panic? It's when you decide to run the yellow light, but the car in front of you doesn't.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kinggabby
Just goes to prove there are a lot of good cops out there. I think you both handled it in a positive manner.
I might say he was a nice cop but not sure about his being a good one. I have to question his allowing people to handle their weapons during a stop. He meets the wrong person and he could end up dead. In my opinion if he feels that for his safety you need to be disarmed then he should do it himself. Otherwise he should let you remain armed.

The other side of that is do you trust the officer. Is he baiting you? On a dash cam you going for your weapon looks the same whether or not you are attempting to disarm or attempting to kill him. The cam only sees you going for your weapon. I would not want to have it left up to the cam or witnesses to decide if I was simply disarming or was up to no good.

Michael

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So you want people to be pulled over for something that is legal?
The OP clarified the light situation.
Slack;1721423]Just to clarify, even though I was making light of my actions I actually did try to make it through a yellow light and entered the intersection after the light turned red. I was wrong.
Also If you are attempting to make it through the intersection on yellow and the light turns red while you are in the intersection you have ran the red light.

Michael

sky king

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. After reading this, I believe If I'm asked asked to unload my weapon I'll ask him if he doesn't think we'd both be more comfortable if I just left it where it is . . .

I enjoyed the story a while back about the Kansas (?) female trooper who, when notified of the CCW, said "I won't shoot you if you don't shoot me!"

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Living here in Missouri I am not required to inform the officer. Being able to carry under the provisions of LEOSA, I'm also not required to notify the officer. I don't tell unless I'm asked. In Oklahoma under SDA provisions only, I would not reach for the gun. I would encourage the officer to instruct me to exit the vehicle and disarm me himself. If memory serves me, there are only certain situations in which a citizen can legally brandish or carry a firearm unconcealed and unconcealing it in order to hand it over to an officer isn't one of them. He'll have to do it himself if he wants it done.

Besides, if he disarms you the patrol car's camera won't capture an image of you drawing a gun.

Remember the Crosstimbers Okie's Maxims--If a cop can't see you, he can't arrest you. If you don't draw a gun on a cop you probably won't get shot.

huskres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crosstimbers, you have to inform under LEOSA? I didn't know that.

I also think the informing rule is absolute crap. And any officer who disarms you because of it is being pretty ridiculous if all you did was have a small traffic infraction.

Latest posts

Top Bottom