Another LEO encounter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got stopped one time, told officer i was licensed and carrying, he said OK, asked where gun was and i told him in the floor beside my seat. he asked for my registration and i told him it was in the glove box, he said go ahead and get it. i reached for the glove box and something seemed to happen, he put his hand on his gun and stepped back, i saw this out of the corner of my eye, but something concerned or scared him. ANYWAY my thought is that i would be a little concerned in handling a gun in front of an officer. A LEO is human and something could happen.

Leadfarmer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never disarmed a lawful CCW holder on a traffic stop. But we ALL appreciate when you tell us that you are carrying when you have a firearm in the vehicle (even when you are not obligated to).I always appreciate when the driver tells me there is a weapon in the car. Even if it’s an unloaded long gun, it’s nice to have the driver tell you about it instead of just discovering it. If you tell us and show the proper credentials it makes us a little more at ease. There is a certain pucker factor that none of us like when a driver opens the glove box for the insurance and we see the butt of the .357 that he forgot to tell us about.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The OP clarified the light situation.

Also If you are attempting to make it through the intersection on yellow and the light turns red while you are in the intersection you have ran the red light.

Michael

Not true, In order to run the red light you have to break the plain of the intersection after the light turns red. If your break the plain before the light turns red...you have not ran a red light.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not true, In order to run the red light you have to break the plain of the intersection after the light turns red. If your break the plain before the light turns red...you have not ran a red light.
Interesting, I tried to look up the ordinance on yellow lights but it seems you may be correct. I posted this because I know a number of folks who have been ticketed for running a red light when they entered it on yellow.
I suppose it would be one of those your word against the word of a cop if they had fought it. Probably why they just pay the ticket.

It does make you wonder though. Why even have a yellow light?

Michael

A

av8r115

It does make you wonder though. Why even have a yellow light?

Michael

I think the original traffic lights did not have a yellow, but as cars started going faster they started having a lot of rear-end collisions when people slammed on the brakes to avoid running the red light. Yellow just lets you know the signal is about to turn red.

I heard Edmond was talking about making it illegal to run the yellow, but I don't know if they passed it. I think spd67 is correct that it's only illegal if the light is red when you enter the intersection.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are LEOs trained in the proper way to handle a traffic stop in which the driver or passengers say they have a concealed carry permit and a weapon?

If not, they should be.

If they are trained in how to properly do so, why would they ask a citizen to handle a firearm in their presence?

Latest posts

Top Bottom