Another quake?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it? Note that I am not arguing against fracking. The issue is that there's no better way to dispose of the used water and it seems to be connected to manmade earthquakes.

kuchment_fault_graphic_d.png

if you overlay a map of fracking wells in Oklahoma on a map of quakes in the past, say, 5 years, you’ll find a remarkable correlation between the two distributions. Now, correlation is not necessarily causation, but it still makes one think.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sitting here watching Bull on TV. I heard the usual low rumble but I thought since it was supposed to storm and I had heard some thunder about 20 minutes before it was possibly thunder. I had seen the radar on my phone of the green and yellow storms approaching so it was logical. Then the rumbling got more intense and instead of the house vibrating like it does with thunder, it freaking shook! I mean I could feel the house shaking east and west. It was a minuscule amount of movement but it was perceptible. I went to the USGS earthquake site to find it on the map which did not have it posted. While I was in the process of reporting it, the 5.1 magnitude popped up NW of Prague.
That's what I thought too at first, but then the bed started shaking.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it? Note that I am not arguing against fracking. The issue is that there's no better way to dispose of the used water and it seems to be connected to manmade earthquakes.

kuchment_fault_graphic_d.png
Not posting to argue hydraulic frac’ing, because 100s of thousands of bbls of frac water are indeed injected downhole during a horizontal completion. But…you do understand that once that load is recovered, the well continues to produce formation water typically for the life of the well. That water is typically injected back downhole in a lower formation too.
Point is, regardless of “big frac jobs” water is going to be produced and injected.
You want fossil fuels for your daily life, you’re going to have water as a by-product - always have.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom