Another rabbit hole

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Around a year ago I was gifted a grouping of items from the daughter of a USAAF veteran that was a First Sergeant in the 399th Fighter Squadron 369th Group during WWII. I recently got around to putting together a small display for the patched Cable Raincoat A2 that was a part of the grouping.

In the process of researching A2 jacket contracts, I had the epiphany that I wanted a reproduction A2 to wear as a daily beater. After even more research 🙄 I settled on a horsehide seal brown Perry contract jacket made by Avi Leather out of Denmark. After a few weeks of wearing that jacket, I apparently decided that I also needed a Bronco contract jacket in russet brown and placed a second order from Avi that should hopefully be here in a couple weeks. Why? I have no clue. Pray for me once my better half finds out though.

Anyway, here's a pic of the original Cable A2 jacket along with an A-11 flight helmet and a vintage Harry Jaffee signed P-39 print that I recently picked up.

20220302_191941.jpg

...and here's a a couple obligatory pics of the repro jacket from Avi. It's a pretty accurate representation of a WWII era A2. An original Perry was used as a template so it's sized and cut correctly. The horsehide is extremely nice for the cost of the jacket. The leather is drum dyed rather than aniline dyed so it probably won't develop any nice looking patina and wear from use like a high end repro. The cost of the jacket is only 20 - 30% of some of the high end repros so the hardware, tag, knits, and a few other items aren't really correct or comparable at that price point. Overall it's a nice option for someone who doesn't want to pay $1000 - $1500 for something that's 100% accurate.

IMG_3828.jpeg

20220212_185009.jpg

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice! I've always admired the A2 as well as the US Army M65 field jacket and the US Navy 1913 Pea Coat.

Thanks GED. I also have an M65 and an M1951 that see pretty regular use. An M65 with a liner is just a dang good winter coat. I used to have a decent sized collection of USGI jackets, but I've downsized my collection over the last several years and haven't been rescuing anything from thrift stores, antique stores, and gun shows lately.

Last edited:

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been on a search for a M65 for quite some time. I totally agree, M65 is a great winter coat, and remove the liner and you get even more months to wear it.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been on a search for a M65 for quite some time. I totally agree, M65 is a great winter coat, and remove the liner and you get even more months to wear it.
they are easily purchased just about everywhere surplus is sold. some of the aftermarket ones are just as nice or nicer than issue coats. my favorite liner is the alpaca ones from the korean war surplus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom