Another rabbit hole

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But large and x-large seem to be a bit more scarce, and usually a little rougher when found. I'm in no hurry.

I should have said that I’m wanting one like what was issued to me in 1970.

Last edited:

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just a month or so ago bought a new old stock desert cammo m65. seems to be quite a few of these patterns probably because the military dropped that pattern for digital or something??? not sure

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice! I've always admired the A2 as well as the US Army M65 field jacket and the US Navy 1913 Pea Coat.
I still have my pea coat but this fat guy can no longer fit in it. Loved that coat. I also liked those Army air Corps coats. Especially the high-altitude ones that had the wool lining.

orangevale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a great title for a thread!

So, after reading about your repro WWII vintage A-2 acquisition, I hit the interwebs.

First, to see what the value of my 30 years-old Cooper commercial (no Velcro patches) A-2 might be.

While I was reading about WWII vintage A-2s, I encountered the sentence: “It was designed to fit the thinner male of the time- original A-2 jackets worn by modern men may seem a bit snug in the shoulders.”

This sent me to the scrapbook of Dad’s WWII snapshots, and lo and behold there were the “puberty coincided with the Great Depression shoulders”.

And then this sent me to research the relative cost of food: USA 1934-36, 33.6% of household budget vs. 2002-03, 13.1%.

Thanks, I had fun!

P.S. Regarding the second jacket, she might not notice the difference if you don’t hang them in the same closet.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a great title for a thread!

So, after reading about your repro WWII vintage A-2 acquisition, I hit the interwebs.

First, to see what the value of my 30 years-old Cooper commercial (no Velcro patches) A-2 might be.

While I was reading about WWII vintage A-2s, I encountered the sentence: “It was designed to fit the thinner male of the time- original A-2 jackets worn by modern men may seem a bit snug in the shoulders.”

This sent me to the scrapbook of Dad’s WWII snapshots, and lo and behold there were the “puberty coincided with the Great Depression shoulders”.

And then this sent me to research the relative cost of food: USA 1934-36, 33.6% of household budget vs. 2002-03, 13.1%.

Thanks, I had fun!

P.S. Regarding the second jacket, she might not notice the difference if you don’t hang them in the same closet.

Those older Cooper goatskin A2's are nice jackets in their own right.

In regards to the vintage A2's; they are definitely cut pretty dang trim. Some patterns more than others. That's probably one of the reasons why the Bronco pattern is one of the more popular repros. It has larger, more squared shoulders and a larger chest than most other manufacturers.

The wife is perceptive enough that I wouldn't even try it...lol. The second jacket just departed Germany, on its way to Cincinnati, and should hopefully here by the end of the week.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a few photos of my M65. It's a '67 dated jacket with a '70 dated liner. I really love the early M65's like this one with the steel Conmar zippers. Unfortunately, I don't wear it in public due to the 101st AB patch and couldn't stand the thought of removing it.

20220305_183650.jpg

20220305_183356.jpg
20220305_183521.jpg

20220305_183544.jpg

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom