Another rabbit hole

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you looked into San Diego Leather’s jackets? I’ve had one of their A2 and G1 jackets; although I can’t vouch for their historical authenticity, they were great jackets and American-made, to boot. And they cost a lot less than $1500, too.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you looked into San Diego Leather’s jackets? I’ve had one of their A2 and G1 jackets; although I can’t vouch for their historical authenticity, they were great jackets and American-made, to boot. And they cost a lot less than $1500, too.

I've heard of them before. Based on the materials that they use, they should be good quality jackets. They're just not quite an accurate reproduction of the WWII era jackets like you mentioned. The San Diego jackets are the more modern, relaxed fitting take on the A2 and G1, which is what many people would prefer.

It looks like their cowhide prices are slightly higher than what I paid for horsehide from Avi. IIRC, the cost was $305 USD after shipping since they provide a 20% discount to buyers outside of the EU. Five Star Leather also makes some entry level repros that are based off of actual WWII patterns that are in the same ballpark price range. Both Avi and Five Star have outsourced production to factories in Karachi (Avi) and Sialkot (5*), Pakistan which is a big reason that they are relatively inexpensive.

In the link below (see post #23), you can see some comparisons of Avi's goatskin leather on their M-422A with the more expensive manufacturers leather samples. For the cost difference, there appears to be a pretty minimal difference in the quality of leather used...at least on the goatskin jackets.

https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...-416-pics-and-review.27734/page-2#post-340233

Last edited:

ChrisWilson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because military uniforms and clothing with insignia should only be worn by those who actually served in that unit.
Ok, well I assumed you had been since you had the jacket, MY BAD!!! I've got several with different patches I wear them when I'm working outside or hunting, Having spent 22yrs in the Army I've worn a lot of different patches but only a few I'd keep!

ChrisWilson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always liked those OD M65s, I had one back years ago I wore all the time that was good a broke in, wish I knew what became of it. I'd like to have another one, all my current field jackets are the older camo style. We were wearing the ACU camo when I retired, I didn't bother getting a field jacket in that style, hated the look of that stuff! I like the new camo they are wearing now, probably pick me one of them up, it blends a little better than the older camo style does. Once the Army issued us the gortex jackets we quit wearing the field jackets anyway, you put a field jacket liner under your gortex and you were good to go!

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The russet Bronco jacket arrived today. Unfortunately, it's going to be sent back for a refund. The russet color honestly looks pretty poor in person compared to their seal brown color. It looks especially cheap when compared to the russet aniline dyed horsehide stuff that I'm used to seeing. The leather is supposed to be drum dyed, oiled, and waxed, but it has the appearance of a spray on pigmented finish. The sleeve knits are not great either. Too long in the non-tapered portions and too short in the tapered areas. No real complaints about the rest of the jacket though. If you purchase anything from Avi, stick to seal brown color and you'll be fine. I'd probably recommend their goatskin over horsehide as well.

20220308_181225.jpg

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The russet Bronco jacket arrived today. Unfortunately, it's going to be sent back for a refund. The russet color honestly looks pretty poor in person compared to their seal brown color. It looks especially cheap when compared to the russet aniline dyed horsehide stuff that I'm used to seeing. The leather is supposed to be drum dyed, oiled, and waxed, but it has the appearance of a spray on pigmented finish. The sleeve knits are not great either. Too long in the non-tapered portions and too short in the tapered areas. No real complaints about the rest of the jacket though. If you purchase anything from Avi, stick to seal brown color and you'll be fine. I'd probably recommend their goatskin over horsehide as well.

View attachment 257821
You have an exemplary eye, my friend. Most people would have thought that was a gorgeous jacket, and it is. But to a keen eye, such as yourself, you see the discrepancies and inconsistencies that only a few people that are sharp enough to recognize a true authenticity of the garment. Kudos to you my good man!

My wife refuses to watch certain movies with me, because I'm always spotting little inconsistencies and pausing and rewinding to show her.

Well done, sir! :clap3:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have an exemplary eye, my friend. Most people would have thought that was a gorgeous jacket, and it is. But to a keen eye, such as yourself, you see the discrepancies and inconsistencies that only a few people that are sharp enough to recognize a true authenticity of the garment. Kudos to you my good man!

My wife refuses to watch certain movies with me, because I'm always spotting little inconsistencies and pausing and rewinding to show her.

Well done, sir! :clap3:

Thanks for the kind words GED. This is just a case of getting what you pay for. I think whatever dyeing and finishing process they're using, is just better suited for the darker seal brown coats. The finish on this jacket may look good from 10 ft, but not so much up close. Russet is a new addition to their line-up so I'm assuming that they'll find ways to improve once they start getting some feedback.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well folks, after reselling the Avi Bronco I found exactly what I was looking for. The jacket below was made by Mark Fisher of Norshor Leather in Minneapolis. It's a reproduction of a second contract Dubow 23379 in Victoria Italian horsehide. The jacket is a test sample that was originally produced in an aniline russett finish, but was given a depot style redye and was distressed to make it appear as an aged original. Knits are 100% wool, hardware looks great as does the nomenclature tag and liner stamps.

8BoX3B4.jpeg

62Zba1R.jpeg

20220328_173201.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom