Another Ruger 10/22 question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So. I finally picked up a Ruger 10/22 for a song from my local toy store.

It definitely has some "experience" and lots and lots of "beauty marks" on it, but it shoots like a dream.

Now then. First things first. I need the resident Ruger gurus to tell me the age of this little feller. It's a carbine model, blue steel with your basic wood stock. The serial number is 124-535xx. I assume it's an old one because I don't think the front sight is dovetailed.

This little guy has considerable wear on the stock (worn down into the wood in places) and the aluminum parts (trigger housing and top of receiver) have considerable wear and the rear sight blade is broken on one side.

I'm still on the fence about refinishing the receiver and replacing the rear sight blade or installing a cool M1 carbine style of sight or just covering up the wear with a rail and installing a cheap red dot optic. But like I said...I don't think the front sight is dovetailed which means the front sight that comes with the M1 style rear sight won't work...right?

Please forgive me and be gentle. I'm brand new to the rimfire world and this is beat up, $100 10/22 is me getting my cherry popped.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will give you $110 for it and you just wont have to worry about what your gonna do with it.

Ha! Nope. Mrs GED has already proclaimed it as an anniversary gift from her to me and my youngest daughter Chigger (her real name is D.J.) has already fired close to 60 rounds thru it and fell in love.

So I would say the chances of me selling it for ANY price are slim to none.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha! Nope. Mrs GED has already proclaimed it as an anniversary gift from her to me and my youngest daughter Chigger (her real name is D.J.) has already fired close to 60 rounds thru it and fell in love.

So I would say the chances of me selling it for ANY price are slim to none.

This I like. Never sell a gun. I've been looking for something just like your describing to be a total rebuild project. All new heavy barrel, thumb hole laminate stock, bipod, new trigger, bolt buffer....All the goodies I could afford.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The NoDak sights (similar to Tech sights) would work but I think the front sight would still have to be removed. I like the Tech sights but sounds like a rail and red dot would be the easiest way to go.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having just been made this decision myself, so recently in fact the sights have not yet arrived, I can tell you that Tech Sights now has a rail option. It uses a standard Weaver mount that come with the new Rugers. It does not fit a picatinny rail. I was looking for a sight/optic solution that could be used on multiple platforms. What I ended up with was set of Tech Sights for the kids, and a NoDak Spud rear sight with it's integral picatinny rail and a Tech Sights front post for me. I think this covers the bases for now.

Last edited:

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
If you shoot the serial number info over to Ruger, they will email you the birth information of your new member to the GED family. Little do you know, Chigger is just allowing you to "borrow" her new 10/22.:)

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like it was manufactured in 1983.

Great starter gun if you plan on upgrading any of the parts.

You can get a Wolfe trigger springs kit from Brownells for under 10 bucks and it really helps out.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are so many options for you with the 10/22. I recently upgraded my spare 10/22 with a Hogue over molded stock in a youth length and the sportier barrel channel. If Chigger isn't very tall she would love it. It has sling swivel studs and that great feel of rubber. That would fix your refinish needs.

Another option would be to shop for a take off stock. I have one that is a standard Ruger carbine stock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom