Any Colt Single Action Army (1st, 2nd, or 3rd Gen) Love Around Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 517564

This one has a story to tell, although the cylinder remains unturned, and not fired since the factory.

This is a 1974 2nd Gen, 5 1/2” barrel in .44 Spl. It has a non-removable cylinder bushing. It was at the VERY tail end of 1974 S/N wise. The Colt S/N lookup indicates that it’s a 1975. That simply cannot be as no SAA’s were produced during 1975 due to retooling of the line. It shipped in April, 1976.

Two well known Colt experts have examined this SAA and both surmised that it has a 1974 barrel and frame. It has a 3rd Gen cylinder, hand, and hammer.

The revolver was purchased from the George Gamble Estate Collection (Bradenton, FL) who was a renowned Colt collector. It still retains the Colt gun grease in the loading gate.

It’s estimated that perhaps less than twenty ever left the factory in this configuration. I feel fortunate to own it.
The last one sold was a 4 3/4" 1971 .45 Colt which was new until I got it. The prettiest was a 1960 nickled 4 3/4" .45 NIB with last of the fixed cone firing pins which was too pretty to shoot, and me having no use for a gun I can't shoot, was sold at a show.

Rampant Colt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
LogoLicious_2024.07.23-13.57.53.jpeg

A 1980 3rd Gen SAA Sheriff’s Model, 3” barrel in 44-40. Nothing really special about this one, still unturned, unfired from the factory. These are going for stupid money now and I don’t know why.

Rampant Colt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
LogoLicious_2024.08.11-04.57.43.jpeg

A 2024 (07/12/2024) 3rd Gen. 4 3/4” barrel in .45LC. Colt is currently struggling to turn out SAA’s. This example shows more blues and straw in the CCH. My poor lighting doesn’t do much to help it.

At least Colt/CZ had the wherewithal to hide the 2D Matrix code under the grips on top of the grip frame…unlike all other current models. That would have been a travesty to place the code on the side of the frame on a SAA.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 517564

This one has a story to tell, although the cylinder remains unturned, and not fired since the factory.

This is a 1974 2nd Gen, 5 1/2” barrel in .44 Spl. It has a non-removable cylinder bushing. It was at the VERY tail end of 1974 S/N wise. The Colt S/N lookup indicates that it’s a 1975. That simply cannot be as no SAA’s were produced during 1975 due to retooling of the line. It shipped in April, 1976.

Two well known Colt experts have examined this SAA and both surmised that it has a 1974 barrel and frame. It has a 3rd Gen cylinder, hand, and hammer.

The revolver was purchased from the George Gamble Estate Collection (Bradenton, FL) who was a renowned Colt collector. It still retains the Colt gun grease in the loading gate.

It’s estimated that perhaps less than twenty ever left the factory in this configuration. I feel fortunate to own it.
It also was at tail end of 2nd Gen when they went to cast trigger guards and backstraps, and would be interesting for lacking those while having a 3rd Gen hand/cylinder and kicked out door during early 3rd Gen.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love the old Colt's. I have owned 1 First Gen, but sold due to being nervous about shooting. Cost has kept me from having others.
Participation in CAS, I have seen and shot several Colts. As well as, many of the Italian clones.
I HAD several Ruger Vaquero in various calibers. Being the same dimensions as the SAA, I slowly, sold them off in favor of the Blackhawk. Having Old Model 3-screw, New Model and Stainless; I have an affinity for the 3-screw, being closer to Colt SAA design. Though, I find clean up and maintenance much easier on the Stainless ones. There are calibers I would like to acquire (.327 Fed, .32 H&R and .32-20, for example). Though, cost on Rugers is getting more restrictive on making acquisitions.

Rampant Colt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
LogoLicious_2024.07.26-10.41.26.jpeg

In my opinion, and I own several more than the ones I’ve posted, the New Frontier SAA represents the best value in a SAA today.

The above is a 1980 3rd Gen, 7 1/2” barrel in .45LC. It’s the only one I own with factory walnut grips. It too was NIB, unturned, unfired since leaving Hartford. The CCH is superb on this one….but I also find the 1974 2nd Gen models I own (as above) are superb as well.

You can certainly tell the difference between these examples and those from 2024. But, each are unique in their own way and I can appreciate that.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 517653

In my opinion, and I own several more than the ones I’ve posted, the New Frontier SAA represents the best value in a SAA today.

The above is a 1980 3rd Gen, 7 1/2” barrel in .45LC. It’s the only one I own with factory walnut grips. It too was NIB, unturned, unfired since leaving Hartford. The CCH is superb on this one….but I also find the 1974 2nd Gen models I own (as above) are superb as well.

You can certainly tell the difference between these examples and those from 2024. But, each are unique in their own way and I can appreciate that.
The other good value in a more standard look and it be a shooter is the NRA Centennial version which, past the nearly invisible marking on barrel and NRA prefix SN, are as classic a SAA as anyone could want, often the gold wash in barrel marking doesn't even survive, and often found fired and selling for 50-100% over current Ruger MSRP.

Rampant Colt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
The other good value in a more standard look and it be a shooter is the NRA Centennial version which, past the nearly invisible marking on barrel and NRA prefix SN, are as classic a SAA as anyone could want, often the gold wash in barrel marking doesn't even survive, and often found fired and selling for 50-100% over current Ruger MSRP.
Understood.

I’m referring to Colts only.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned 4 (2 1st gens and 2 modern era). I loved having them but when a friend of a friend found out that I owned a 3 digit (the one pictured below) he bought the entire collection to get it. It was overly polished but mechanically sound. Had matching numbers but non original grips and barrel had been cut. It was crazy to hold it as it was such an early example (I think it was SN 871) but don't recall now. Sold it in 2011 for ~$6K but no telling what it's probably worth now?
IMG_3037.jpeg

Rampant Colt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned 4 (2 1st gens and 2 modern era). I loved having them but when a friend of a friend found out that I owned a 3 digit (the one pictured below) he bought the entire collection to get it. It was overly polished but mechanically sound. Had matching numbers but non original grips and barrel had been cut. It was crazy to hold it as it was such an early example (I think it was SN 871) but don't recall now. Sold it in 2011 for ~$6K but no telling what it's probably worth now?View attachment 517673

That pretty much puts it as a second year of manufacture (1874). Outstanding!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom