Any Colt Single Action Army (1st, 2nd, or 3rd Gen) Love Around Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 517564

This one has a story to tell, although the cylinder remains unturned, and not fired since the factory.

This is a 1974 2nd Gen, 5 1/2” barrel in .44 Spl. It has a non-removable cylinder bushing. It was at the VERY tail end of 1974 S/N wise. The Colt S/N lookup indicates that it’s a 1975. That simply cannot be as no SAA’s were produced during 1975 due to retooling of the line. It shipped in April, 1976.

Two well known Colt experts have examined this SAA and both surmised that it has a 1974 barrel and frame. It has a 3rd Gen cylinder, hand, and hammer.

The revolver was purchased from the George Gamble Estate Collection (Bradenton, FL) who was a renowned Colt collector. It still retains the Colt gun grease in the loading gate.

It’s estimated that perhaps less than twenty ever left the factory in this configuration. I feel fortunate to own it.
The last one sold was a 4 3/4" 1971 .45 Colt which was new until I got it. The prettiest was a 1960 nickled 4 3/4" .45 NIB with last of the fixed cone firing pins which was too pretty to shoot, and me having no use for a gun I can't shoot, was sold at a show.

Rampant Colt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
LogoLicious_2024.07.23-13.57.53.jpeg

A 1980 3rd Gen SAA Sheriff’s Model, 3” barrel in 44-40. Nothing really special about this one, still unturned, unfired from the factory. These are going for stupid money now and I don’t know why.

Rampant Colt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
LogoLicious_2024.08.11-04.57.43.jpeg

A 2024 (07/12/2024) 3rd Gen. 4 3/4” barrel in .45LC. Colt is currently struggling to turn out SAA’s. This example shows more blues and straw in the CCH. My poor lighting doesn’t do much to help it.

At least Colt/CZ had the wherewithal to hide the 2D Matrix code under the grips on top of the grip frame…unlike all other current models. That would have been a travesty to place the code on the side of the frame on a SAA.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 517564

This one has a story to tell, although the cylinder remains unturned, and not fired since the factory.

This is a 1974 2nd Gen, 5 1/2” barrel in .44 Spl. It has a non-removable cylinder bushing. It was at the VERY tail end of 1974 S/N wise. The Colt S/N lookup indicates that it’s a 1975. That simply cannot be as no SAA’s were produced during 1975 due to retooling of the line. It shipped in April, 1976.

Two well known Colt experts have examined this SAA and both surmised that it has a 1974 barrel and frame. It has a 3rd Gen cylinder, hand, and hammer.

The revolver was purchased from the George Gamble Estate Collection (Bradenton, FL) who was a renowned Colt collector. It still retains the Colt gun grease in the loading gate.

It’s estimated that perhaps less than twenty ever left the factory in this configuration. I feel fortunate to own it.
It also was at tail end of 2nd Gen when they went to cast trigger guards and backstraps, and would be interesting for lacking those while having a 3rd Gen hand/cylinder and kicked out door during early 3rd Gen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom