Any LONG-RANGE shooters here???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Besides building full custom rifles and hunting handguns, one of my favorite things to do is shoot at long-range...

Since 1989, I will shoot one deer out to or in excess of 1,000 yds. and this is something I have specialized in. I know, it's called "deer shooting" instead of deer "hunting" but, this is just something I REALLY like to do...

The reason for this post is that I'm looking for someone who has the same shooting skill and would like to have someone else to shoot with...

Understand that before the "unknowledgeable" start in on how unethical it is to shoot a deer at much over 100 yds., let me give you a few facts:

1 - So far, 36 deer have been shot out to 1,000+ yds...

2 - NO deer has EVER been wounded or lost...

3 - ALL deer shot have been one-shot-kills...

4 - We do NOT shoot at a deer if weather conditions are NOT perfect! This means no wind, no rain, no heat mirage, etc.. If we are not confident that we can make a sure kill, we do NOT pull the trigger. There will always be another day and another deer...

If you have the equipment and shooting skills, let's see if we can get together and do a little shooting - after the weather warms up some...

One of my favorite off season "targets" is shooting 12 oz. soda pop cans at 600 yds.. I had one guy tell me last year that he wanted to shoot a deer at long range and I told him that if he could bust a full pop can at 600 yds., I'd take him to shoot a deer. Well, 10 rounds later, he could not even come close. I set up a couple of gallon milk jugs full of water at the same distance and still, he never came close. I then decided to set a 5 gallon bucket full of water at the same distance and still, no luck! Think I'm gonna take this guy out to shoot "at" a deer - ain't happenin!!!

Let me know if there are any long-range shooters out there that would be interested in getting together....

DAVID

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Man I am just getting back into this game, see my thread on my "budget build", I have a decent amount of work to do to be comfortable taking game past 300. Part of my problem is finding places to shoot past 300. My buddy is a sniper currently deployed and I am just trying to get a bit up to speed before he gets out so we can really have some fun.

I like your pop can example. I know of a guy in Washington who shoots eggs at 500! As far as the ethics of it, if you have the skills then go for it. One guy I know used to tell me it wasn't ethical to shoot game past 400. He is a big bow hunter, including traditional archery. I challenged him on that, because there are more deer left to die of infection from bow hunters than gun hunters I would wager. Neither should be ruled unethical, it comes down to whether or not the individual has put in the time and effort to be competent. Even then mistakes will happen but I dare say more deer will be wounded by the guys who pull a gun out of the closet once a year to go hunting than by people who are enthusiasts about their trade.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My comfort range on deer is 500 right now
Plan on doing a little more work this off season to stretch that out a bit more.
It's not "shooting deer"! Hell if I wanna get close ill take my bow, funny though my comfort range with my bow most would call unethical LOL I'm defiantly a lol range shooter with it.
To me, shooting a deer at 100 with a rifle isn't a challenge, so why not run that out a bit and make it interesting?

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mitch,

send me a link to your "budget build" if you would please...

I agree with you guys. I've seen guys set up a pie plate at 40-50 steps and if they could put two bullets in it, they were ready to go "hunting"...

And like you say, if I want to shoot something up close and personal, I'll use my crossbow....

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really curious to hear what your success percentage is on shots? In other words you've killed 36 with one shot but how many shots have you taken to get those 36. I don't think it's unethical, I'm assuming to get that range you are shooting a large caliber increasing the kill zone tremendously (by the way, what caliber are you shooting? What rifle?). Also, I have hunted a lot in vinita and that area, are you going to Kansas to get these 1k yarders or staying in vinita area?

zandroes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to extend my Killing range. But currently only have access to a few quarter sections..
If you're interested in sharing any knowledge, I'm interested in learning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom