Any of you hog hunters ever been attacked?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might/maybe be hunting hogs. Without dogs. I've read on the internet how dangerous it can be. If it works out that I can start hunting hogs, it'll be from an elevated stand around tall grass. But, have any of you ever been in a precarious situation w/hogs?

Also, on a hog hunting thread (some internet source) an expert said if you place a feeder at your spot, and said feeder is set to go off a certain time of the day, that the hogs will arrive when they hear said feeder dispensing feed.

Dunno if that's true but the information was posted as an answer to "how to hunt hogs in daytime." I'm definitely a daytime hunter.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I came within a boot lace of being toppled. We were doing a driven hunt, all up on a berm. The pigs came in and we started shooting. I only had three buck shots loaded since I was just using my dove gun (dove hunting before and after). After I hit this pig three times, it turned and headed my way. Luckily, guy next to me had a .308 SCAR and put one in it. It balled up and literally stopped and rolled up on top of my boots, thankfully expired.
Glad he was there with enough gun and the ability to shoot. Otherwise, I may have been rolled off the back of the berm and gored.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never! When startled, pigs will run in the direction their nose is pointed. If you are on that line they will run right at you, but that isn't attacking, it's running and pigs have very bad eye sight. I have been surrounded by feral pigs and never have I been attacked, but I'm sure the "my friend knows this guy who's cousin's nephew knows a guy who was attacked" are being cued up as I type. In my experience day hunting is pretty hard as they are generally nocturnal. I think the amount of day time pigs I have shot could be counted in the teens as opposed to hundreds at night, and I just sit out in a lawn chair or walk them up, no trapping.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not around here have I hunted or had problems, but while living in GA they were everywhere, same as deer, and same as deer, frequently seen embedded in front bumpers they were so plentiful, and so run-ins in woods were quite common. Black bear were also semi-common, the local population was several hundred.
So...I always carried my .45 Colt Blackhawk with decently stout hand loads, took quite a few hog with it, and was charged exactly once by a big tusker when I wasn't hunting and the .45 worked as always, but main concern was stumbling on a sow with piglets. As for plentiful hog, one coworker destroyed his mini-van on way to work by hitting not one, but five hog. As for plentiful deer, in next-door Alabama the season limit was a deer a day for entire season, but only three could be antlered.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My late brother used to hunt wild pigs with a long bow out in Cali. Nearly lost his leg once. Had several encounters that were close. A friend does a lot of pig hunting/culling in Texas. Mostly at night using suppressed rifles at range. He does not want to get close.

Side story on my brother … He would have had #1 and #4 in the world but Safari Club would not recognize wild boars in Cali as “boars”. Out of the blue, he gets a note on camouflaged stationary from Ted Nugent to explain “why” SCI did not allow his record to stand. Lead to an interesting phone conversation with Ted.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only had three buck shots loaded since I was just using my dove gun (dove hunting before and after). After I hit this pig three times, it turned and headed my way.
I actually posed the question "is 00 buckshot suitable for wild hogs" and the answer was that yes, but only marginally so." No further away than 40 yards, for one. And, not for a 300 pound hog, for another.

Shotgun slugs are a different matter.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. Ticks can be bad though.
Which, though, as ridiculous as it sounds, is why I prefer to hunt in winter.

Asked google the question: At what temperature do ticks become inactive?

Answer: 40° F.

After feeding and mating, the female tick drops into the leaf litter where she lays thousands of eggs. She will become dormant as the temperature drops below 40° F.

Other sites state that ticks (plural) become dormant at, and below,
40° F.

Latest posts

Top Bottom