Any Other Ninja's Into RC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still have my Ringmaster and my Magician from my u/c days in the early 70's. Had several helis, profiles, and other junk along the way. I have a 157" Discus glider that I tow up with a 1/4 scale Aeronca Champ. That's a pretty cool setup. Like MaddSkillz, I really enjoy chasing thermals.

I have some version of Realflight (3.5?) that I'd be willing to give to someone that wants to learn to fly. The elevator stick spring is broken, so it doesn't center, but free is free. That's a FTF only deal though.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use to fly RC airplanes. Last plane I built and flew was a Midwest P-51D with a 2 stroke 40. It was a lot of fun flying that "tail dragger". I started building a Great Planes Super Skybolt biplane about 15 years ago. It's still hanging in the garage 3/4 finished with a 120 4 stroke that is still in the box.

Years ago, a Tulsa RC Club had a fantastic R/C event - I think it was called "Field of Dreams". They had ducted fan jets (F-16, F-14, T-38, etc.) and all types of exact replica military propeller aircraft. Do they still have that event?

It's not called that... But there is an event coming up about 45 minutes away that's going to have real turbine jets. Should be a lot of fun! Glue Dobbers still has events as well. They have a large turnout too.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So just out of curiosity, what do the jets cost?

I believe the MicroJet Turbine engines are around $1200 - $1500 and then you have to buy the plane and all the radio equipment.

Here's an interesting setup for an RC jet. Never seen one launched like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, some of those RC jets were clocked at nearly 200 mph. I seem to remember a guy named Bob Violet flying a fun fly jet (Aggressor?) that did 209 mph. That's moving fast for a model airplane.

There was another guy in Tulsa that had a true scale B-29 Superfortress. It would take him 20 minutes or more to get all four of those engines started and running in sync. It was amazing to watch it fly as well.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've flown very little but had a trainer about 20 years ago. It's come a long ways since then. I'd probably go electric now if I got one.

The most common misconception for newbies is that they think they can fly the fastest, most wicked planes from the git go.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, electric has come a long way with the developments in battery technology. The power to weight is ridiculous - as you can see in that helicopter video.

Yeah, and the jets are fast but they're not the fastest. They are just cool. There are prop planes that are faster. But the current speed record for an RC airplane is held by a glider. Yes, a motorless glider. I think it's near 400 MPH or just over.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I play around with the Mini and Micro sized helis, fun to buzz around inside the house or even at work. Right now, I've got an eFlite MCX2....lots of 4 channel fun.

ai146.photobucket.com_albums_r268_jaymzb74_DSCF0858.jpg

ai146.photobucket.com_albums_r268_jaymzb74_DSCF0860.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom