Any Preppers Using Pellet Air Rifles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .177 Cal will indeed shoot further due to being of lighter weight but I have read where the .22 has more knockdown power which to me is logical since they are of heavier weight. Kind of like, "Would you rather be slapped by a 110# woman or hit by a 220# man?" I want neither!
The 177 gives a flatter trajectory from the same given power supply and in some cases better penetration. There is something to be said about carrying 1000's of pellets at half the weight of the 22cal pellets AND having a more accurate shot as well as "slightly" better range.

Having said all that, in most cases, with these 13xx Crosmans, you would not be taking a humane shot with either caliber beyond a short distance and I do think the 22cal would be more forgiving on say a rabbit just due to the "wallop" it packs if you did not hit bullseye, vs a 177. Liken it to blow darts vs slingshot...you can debate it in your mind for hours LOL.

22cal has about 20-25% more FPE than 177cal out of the same power supply..but the 177 shoots flatter and will have about 20-25% more velocity than the 22cal...it is really a trade off and that's why so many old timers like the old Sheridan 20cals LOL.

I have plenty of full-sized air rifles, but none of them going with me in bugout...I'd probably grab two 13xx guns in the same caliber for the backpack and as many pellets as I could carry.

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have plenty of full-sized air rifles, but none of them going with me in bugout...I'd probably grab two 13xx guns in the same caliber for the backpack and as many pellets as I could carry.
I respectfully stand in awe, you have a far better knowledge of air rifles than I.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's also amazing how quiet CCI Quiets are out of a bolt action with a 24" barrel.

22lr High Velocity vs CCI Quiet

We had an Athelon dealer day at the Ponca range a couple years ago. He brought out several suppressed rifles all shooting sub sonics. It was nice to be able to walk around the firing line without muffs.
The .22 bolt gun was the most impressive. You heard the firing pin hit the cartridge and the dink of the steel being hit. Just like your video.
I have a new F&N 502 tactical in .22rf that is going to get a suppressor as soon as I can get one ordered.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To answer your question John no, I haven’t considered a pellet gun as an option. My suppressed 22 is quieter than a non-suppressed air rifle. In fact the impact of my 22 on the cardboard backer is louder than the report of the rifle. As to being able to pack more pellets than 22’s me thinks if that’s my issue I have much bigger problems to deal with then rounds carried. In a SHTF bug-out holy crap the zombies are after me I want to keep things as simple as possible. If it comes to bartering I’d think 22LR will be something more folks would want over pellets too. Another thought is that you will eventually run out of pellets and a more long-term solution might be a better choice. Say a sling or slingshot. Last I checked there’s a limitless supply of rocks here in Oklahoma. 😉
I killed many dove when a kid with a slingshot while they were sitting in trees. Great option. I'd kind of forgot about that weapon of choice.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I respectfully stand in awe, you have a far better knowledge of air rifles than I.
Well if you had the room, a good break barrel or pumper would be a good survival tool. I'm just under the assumption many of us would already have other long guns slung and it becomes a space/weight issue to carry an air rifle. So a pistol or carbine airgun is better than nothing :)

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CCI quiets with my suppressor just make a click from the firing pin hitting the rim. It’s amazing! The winchester supper suppressed isn’t much louder an maintains a better velocity.

I still have my old faithful pellet rifle with a thermal on it. People call me crazy but I comes in handy.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finished the last Crosman 1400 today, it will punch a hole through a vegetable can easily. Problem is that it E236872A-45EF-4F41-9A01-C548A75B6DA6.jpeg0F233A03-9E35-4B45-B7BC-14DF35D7594E.jpeghe stock isn't dark enough but I can live with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom