Anybody do any winterizing to their in ground sprinkler system?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use to maintain alot of different sprinkler systems where i worked and has never done any kind of winterization except turning the control off, but im farther south than most of you guys and usually doesnt get as cold down here as you northerners.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't already have it, getting a Rachio unit for a controller might be a good idea. That hooks in an automatically adjusts everything or stops running it based on the forecast in your area (cold, rain, etc) or might give it some extra in the summers for instance. Then if you don't have a self draining setup, you might look into how to clear water out of the lines at the lowest point.

xtremerange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a back flow preventer that froze over and exploded while at work. If you have one, make sure it's protected
This. Mine froze a few years ago. No blowout but it leaks when left on. So now I manually turn it on each time to run the sprinklers. Effectively making the timer system useless.

Too cheap to get it fixed just yet.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our house already had a system when we moved in. My wife called the local sprinkler system people about what to do for the cold weather. The gal there said it was mostly underground and would be ok. I don't remember where but, somewhere it froze and busted. So, then we had them come out every fall and shut it off. I took over shutting it off and draining it years ago. I shut off the water to it and drain the above ground manifold. On mine there are two quarter turn bleeder valves on the top end of the manifold and a drain vale about 18" underground.

Latest posts

Top Bottom