Anybody ever try any Russian Tula 223 ammo???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webmogul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a very long thread on xdtalk about running steel cased ammo in ARs. the general consensus was that most people have no trouble as long as they aren't shooting rapidly (reference to the gun getting hot) and they clean it thoroughly before running brass back through it, due to the polymer coating on the steel cased stuff.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot the Tula and had 3 total issues. Twice it was slow in my pmags and didn't chamber or attempt. The other issue was a stuck case. I had shot 80 PMC bronze and over 100 tula at that point.

I've sat and ran my AR hot using Wolf Military Classic for over 200 rounds and had no issues.

Both are pretty dirty but no biggie.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, it sucks to be you guys. I've run hundreds of rounds of the Tula & Wolf along with .22lr through my barrel and have never had a problem, except for the typical .22lr FTF & FTE. I have cleaned the gun exactly 1 time. I don't feel so bad about my cheap upper and lowly C-mags now.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Tula ammo is nothing but crap. The spent steel cases are nothing but crap. Ordering it from CTD is a ridiculous thing to do. You all need to stop shooting this crap and stop ordering it from CTD. ;)

On a serious note. I ran about a 1000 rounds through my Colt 6920 in the last few months. I even ran 50 rounds through my Del-Ton with no problems.

Had 1 FTE in my Colt but that was after about 300 rounds. A quick pull with a bore snake eliminated any other issues.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tula ammo is nothing but crap. The spent steel cases are nothing but crap. Ordering it from CTD is a ridiculous thing to do. You all need to stop shooting this crap and stop ordering it from CTD. ;)

On a serious note. I ran about a 1000 rounds through my Colt 6920 in the last few months. I even ran 50 rounds through my Del-Ton with no problems.

Had 1 FTE in my Colt but that was after about 300 rounds. A quick pull with a bore snake eliminated any other issues.

I use Wolf in my Remington 7615 pump and have never had any problems. I get mine from ammoman in New Jersey. Good people to deal with.

http://www.ammoman.com/

Sooner67

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been running Wolf/Monarch through my M&P for years and have had zero problems,same way with both my Sig 556s.
But I have yet to try the Tula stuff...........

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I use Wolf in my Remington 7615 pump and have never had any problems. I get mine from ammoman in New Jersey. Good people to deal with.

http://www.ammoman.com/

I have bought a few shipments from them. Then I was introduced to CheaperThanDirt and realized he rolls shipping into his prices. CTD is almost 20 bucks cheaper on a thousand rounds of Tula/Wolf including shipping. Plus ammoman has been out of .45 ACP for a while now.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got back from shooting Tula for the first time.

I ran through some brass-cased Federal bulk with no issues, and then started on the Tula. The first 20 or 30 went OK, then I had a bunch of FTEs and a couple double-feeds; literally half the rounds would malfunction. I finally gave up when a case got stuck in the chamber so hard that I had to field-strip the rifle to get it out.

Either the ammo is bad, the AR is bad (it's a weird Franken-AR build my grandpa gave me), or I just need to give it a good cleaning. I'll give it a good scrubbing and see what happens next week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom