Anybody know how to trap a beaver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one or two that I want to trap, but I've never done it and need to gain some knowledge before giving it a try. I figured this is the place to go to learn. What size trap do I need, what do I put in the trap, etc...

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bait isn't necessary for beaver, if you can find a run (trail) where they enter/exit the water. Set a leg hold trap on the run, in the water. Anchor it solidly. (Anchor it solidly) In the water, means where it is shallow and you see the beaver tracks on the bottom.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never had much luck trapping but a 22 mag, red lens on a Q-Beam and a fishing pole with 10/0 grab hook I found to be the best. They make a trap just for water critters I'm gonna spell this wrong but it is Connibear or something like it, nasty little guys that work most wonderful for beavers unless you want them alive that is.

Any reason you would want to trap over shoot? just asking. The first method was many years ago and pretty sure it would be frounded upon today but VERY effective and you get a good pelt as long as you hit them right in or behind the ear! they suck some air and float for a littlewhile until you can fish them out just grind the barbs on the hooks down. Later,

Kirk

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Google a drowning set. It's a set up that uses a foot hold trap and holds the beaver under until you come and pull it up.

You can look for slides or castor mounds. From what I read the castor mounds are very effictive with some castor scent.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have been reading up on it a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom