Anybody know how to trap a beaver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The beavers on my place are on a creek, tearing down trees up and down it for about 100 yards. I found their den, and tomorrow afternoon I'm gonna set up a ground blind, then leave and sneak back in the blind an hour or so before dark with the .223. It should be fun. I haven't seen deer in about a week so maybe this will help get me out of my deer slump.

I'm off work for the next few days so I'm gonna try and get out a few evenings until next Monday. I'm thinking about keeping a skull or having a beaver skin "rug" made to hang on the wall if I can find anyone that does it around here.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The beavers on my place are on a creek, tearing down trees up and down it for about 100 yards. I found their den, and tomorrow afternoon I'm gonna set up a ground blind, then leave and sneak back in the blind an hour or so before dark with the .223. It should be fun. I haven't seen deer in about a week so maybe this will help get me out of my deer slump.

I'm off work for the next few days so I'm gonna try and get out a few evenings until next Monday. I'm thinking about keeping a skull or having a beaver skin "rug" made to hang on the wall if I can find anyone that does it around here.

The skulls are pretty neat. I trapped one in a drowning set two years ago, and never got to recover the trap as we had high water in the creek from rains. When the water went down two weeks later, the skeleton with skull was laying in a brush pile where it had washed up. The fish or crawdads ate it clean. Its amazing how far back into the skull the teeth go.

Good luck on your beaver hunt:D

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a piece of PVC jam, jam it into the den, pour bleach down the pipe. The Beavers will exit the den. Shoot away. You could get all of them in one go.

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey $$$$$ - How did the beaver shoot go? Is your creek clear of beaver, yet? How many did you get or see?

No, I have only got a chance to go out once, and I didn't see anything that evening. I'll try again here in a couple days after I get caught up with what didn't get done the last few days cause of Christmas. I'll let you know what happens and post a pic if I get one of them.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you know where the den is located? if so there is the ol' diesel trick but it's been pretty dry so might want to nicks that until a big rain or snow. If they have a dam built and you have your blind set up tear out a big hole about the size of 2 sticks of dynomite and when they come in to repair well snap a cap from the 223. The best way I think would be the light in the evening but you would need to caontact the game warden and let him know what your up too first but you'll need a red lens for your spotlight! 12ga and 00 work very well on beavers also just in case. Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know where the den is located? if so there is the ol' diesel trick but it's been pretty dry so might want to nicks that until a big rain or snow. If they have a dam built and you have your blind set up tear out a big hole about the size of 2 sticks of dynomite and when they come in to repair well snap a cap from the 223. The best way I think would be the light in the evening but you would need to caontact the game warden and let him know what your up too first but you'll need a red lens for your spotlight! 12ga and 00 work very well on beavers also just in case. Later,

Kirk

00 Buck is currently not legal to use while hunting from what I understand.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have trapped several beavers using a leg hold trap. I always use a drown set with two #2 traps. Wire a two pound flat rock to the bottom of the traps and set them in the water. Secure the traps with a length of wire, like phone wire or something and give it enough slack to let the beaver swim to deep water - that is safety to them. When he reaches the end of the wire he keeps swimming but doesn't realize he is getting nowhere. The rocks eventually tire him out and he drowns - never fails.

Set the traps either where there is a well worn run where he comes out of the water a lot, visualize the length of the beaver, swimming up to shore and then putting his hind feet down to climb out. That is where you want to place the traps. I place them side by side, with one a little farther out than the other. You can also place some tender aspen branches, just a few tender ends, in the bank where he has to climb up to get them. Aspen is their favorite. If you can find his underwater hole you can also place the traps at the entrance to the hole. When they swin into the hole they put their hind feet down to give a push up the the shaft to theen.

Good luck.

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok...I am a hunter. I'm not against trapping if done legally and in a humane way. I'm just not sure I get the pouring of bleach or diesel into an ecosystem that we need to foster if we are to continue to hunt. I'm not a tree hugging global warming dude....just can't wrap my head around the chemical thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom