Anyone else make their own holsters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, it's not DAO. It still has a hammer that can be cocked to fire SA, but the hammer is shrouded so it won't snag pulling it out of a pocket, etc. Has a really nice trigger pull to it. Better then your snubby I would wager.

At least it has that going for it. You would be surprised at what a set of stones and lighter springs will do for my junky little snubby.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 49 that soulman has is ugly in terms of it's shape, but still a pretty gun due to it's good condition. I was impressed with the feel of it. Noticeably better than the modern 642's. If I could find a 38 (I believe that's the airweight version) I'd jump on it. I also think an older 37 would be great to have.

Yeah, if I find a good deal on a 38 airweight I'm going to buy it in a second. I love this 49 and the way it feels. It will be one of the last guns I sell.

At least it has that going for it. You would be surprised at what a set of stones and lighter springs will do for my junky little snubby.

Snubby triggers aren't as refined as their bigger brothers, the K frame in S&Ws case., but they aren't that bad. GED has set it before, but the ability to find the mark (where it's hitting) in SA and then switching over to DA is a wonderful feature. I also load it up with snake shot for my "walking around" gun. The SA allows me to hit that small moving target of a snake's head by letting me really steady myself and aim. The DA with shrouded hammer allows me to pull it from my pocket with less chance of snag and makes it a great "get off me" gun for up close and personal situations.

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Snubby triggers aren't as refined as their bigger brothers, the K frame in S&Ws case., but they aren't that bad. GED has set it before, but the ability to find the mark (where it's hitting) in SA and then switching over to DA is a wonderful feature. I also load it up with snake shot for my "walking around" gun. The SA allows me to hit that small moving target of a snake's head by letting me really steady myself and aim. The DA with shrouded hammer allows me to pull it from my pocket with less chance of snag and makes it a great "get off me" gun for up close and personal situations.

Do you load your own rat shot? If so are there any tricks? I have some info in my manuals about it but I haven't bought the shot cups from Midway to see if I like it yet.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you load your own rat shot? If so are there any tricks? I have some info in my manuals about it but I haven't bought the shot cups from Midway to see if I like it yet.

My uncle loaded up a bunch for me, but the CCI shot shells aren't that unreasonable in price and considering one box of 10 is $8 and lasts me a year or better isn't bad at all.

the tR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice Case, ugly gun. Is it DAO? My biggest deal besides the look are the ones that are DAO, if I wanted a heavy trigger pull I would have bought a Sigma.

Anyways here are the pics of the holster I made last night.

ai195.photobucket.com_albums_z288_SturgellatOSU_S7302470.jpg

ai195.photobucket.com_albums_z288_SturgellatOSU_S7302472.jpg

ai195.photobucket.com_albums_z288_SturgellatOSU_S7302471.jpg

It was my first time to layer leather and also my first time to use rivets. I need to work on making my rivets more symmetrical and the finished edges but other than that I think it came out ok.

use some edge cote it helpsout.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care how goofy looking something is if it works. Tools don't have to be pretty to work. But I guess that comes from me being in love with the Humpback (S&W Bodyguard).

ai687.photobucket.com_albums_vv240_oksoulman_pocketcarrysnubby.jpg

Every time I see you post a pic of that little feller, I kick myself for ever letting it go. :grumble:

It's no big secret. The Smith & Wesson "Bodyguard" is by far my utmost favorite of ALL Smith & Wesson revolvers. Period. If I could find another Bodyguard, I would jump on it in a minute. I've got my heart set on a model 649 in .38 Special from the mid 80's. :naughty:

ajtjersey.com_SW649_SW_M649_38_20.JPG

Someday my little friend...someday.

That's an AWESOME pic Andy. You need to get rid of that danged ol' Case pocket knife and get a Smith & Wesson S.W.A.T. folder or sumthin'. :D Is that one of those S&W watches with the three different bands in black, khaki and OD for like $25? How's it holding up? I need a new watch desperately and I saw one of those in Gall's or somewhere. I really like it. :)

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it came out pretty darn good. I've done some leatherwork in the past and have been itching to try my hand at a holster for my Kimber. Do you have any resources that you like on the craft?

No the only thing I read a little on was how to form the leather and it was just a little article that came up with a Google search.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every time I see you post a pic of that little feller, I kick myself for ever letting it go. :grumble:

It's no big secret. The Smith & Wesson "Bodyguard" is by far my utmost favorite of ALL Smith & Wesson revolvers. Period. If I could find another Bodyguard, I would jump on it in a minute. I've got my heart set on a model 649 in .38 Special from the mid 80's. :naughty:

ajtjersey.com_SW649_SW_M649_38_20.JPG

Someday my little friend...someday.

That's an AWESOME pic Andy. You need to get rid of that danged ol' Case pocket knife and get a Smith & Wesson S.W.A.T. folder or sumthin'. :D Is that one of those S&W watches with the three different bands in black, khaki and OD for like $25? How's it holding up? I need a new watch desperately and I saw one of those in Gall's or somewhere. I really like it. :)

I got that Case when I turned 18. It's ridden in my pocket ever since. My grandpa always had an old case, so I thought I needed one too. That sucker is still factory sharp and sharp enough to shave with as the bald patches on my arm showed shortly after pulling it out of the box. I wasn't real certain how good of quality those SWAT folders were since most can be had on ebay for under $20 shipped and come out of china.

I've had the watch for two weeks now. It's my second one. The first one held up very well and I would still have it, but one of the techs at wal-mart stole it out of the ash tray in my truck when I had new tires put on. It's still got all the papers, all three bands, and the box. I've only worn it a couple days and it's still in as good of condition as I got it. I decided to bite the bullet and bought a Seiko 5, so I don't really need this S&W. If you want it, you can have it for $25 shipped. (I gave $33 shipped.)

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had the watch for two weeks now. It's my second one. The first one held up very well and I would still have it, but one of the techs at wal-mart stole it out of the ash tray in my truck when I had new tires put on. It's still got all the papers, all three bands, and the box. I've only worn it a couple days and it's still in as good of condition as I got it. I decided to bite the bullet and bought a Seiko 5, so I don't really need this S&W. If you want it, you can have it for $25 shipped. (I gave $33 shipped.)

I'll take it. Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you 25 bucks. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom