Anyone ever read any books by Capstick?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read a couple a few years ago and they were really good! I don't have time to read much anymore but got to thinking I might try to read a few when I get time. His style of writing is very easy to follow.

Scott

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He got me hooked with Death in the Long Grass.
Capstick is frequently compared to Ernest Hemingway and Robert Ruark (my favorite) in discussions of influential African hunting authors.
Capstick died at 56, in 1996.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, death in the long grass is on my bookshelf. Loved it.

Mine too. Another great one on Africa that is hard to find is, "Bell of Africa" about an elephant hunter around during the early 1900's. I had to get the Stillwater Library to get it for me on an inter-library loan but it is a great read if you like African hunting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you like Capstick, do yourself a favor and read the works of Robert Ruark. He was Da Man!

Read most of his stuff too. I grew up as a kid reading about the great African Safari's. Its still my dream hunt. I know its fairly reasonable now, but I have to convince my non-hunting wife that I need to do this.

One of our members recently went over there, and I pm'd him about the spouse he took along if she participated in the hunt, etc. She went, and took tons of pics from what I understand, and had a great time. From what I've been told, "customer service" is incredible.

It may be on hands and knees begging, but I've gotta do this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom