Anyone fired a Kel Tec R50 "Sport Utility Rifle"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love small-ish but Zippy cartridges,,,
The 5.7 x 28 cartridge runs around 2,300 to 2,500 FPS,,,
That along with the 50 round capacity could make it a great Personal Defense Weapon (PDW)

I am very enamored with the FN P-90,,,
50 rounds of this fast bullet is nice,,,
But it's price scares me off of it.

Buds has them for right at $1,500.00

I just read a small article on the Kel Tec R50,,,
It uses the same ammunition as the P-90,,,
And also uses the same 50 round mags,,,
All for just over $500.00 at Buds.

I'm not in the market for a PDW,,,
But if I were I would take a serious look at this Kel Tec.

Anyone else interested in this little shooter?

Aarond

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I could get a P-90 (Full Auto)! Alas as a civilian I can only get a PS-90. I do wish I could see a the Kel Tec R50 in person. The PS-90 has two things I dislike, 1) is the Stock Iron Site which is almost useless 2) is the Positioning for an optical site. You could have a third with the price. The only thing I dislike about the Kel Tec is the magazine position, it looks a bit harder to load, but with 50 rds less reloading is needed. Also if you want to add a stock you need to file NFA forms with the R50. With the PS-90 though one may want to switch up the barrel to a 10 inch, although the 16 inch gives you more velocity and the carbine is still fairly compact. One thing I have found is slings for the PS-90 are a bit hard to find.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I could get a P-90 (Full Auto)! Alas as a civilian I can only get a PS-90. I do wish I could see a the Kel Tec R50 in person. The PS-90 has two things I dislike, 1) is the Stock Iron Site which is almost useless 2) is the Positioning for an optical site. You could have a third with the price. The only thing I dislike about the Kel Tec is the magazine position, it looks a bit harder to load, but with 50 rds less reloading is needed. Also if you want to add a stock you need to file NFA forms with the R50. With the PS-90 though one may want to switch up the barrel to a 10 inch, although the 16 inch gives you more velocity and the carbine is still fairly compact. One thing I have found is slings for the PS-90 are a bit hard to find.

The R50 comes with a stock and it has a 16.1" barrel. No NFA filing needed. The R50 Defender is the factory SBR.

1720012245929.png

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would need to hold one in my hands before I bought one,,,
I've bought guns sight-unseen before,,,
But not one this unique.

It's main attraction to me is the 50-round mags,,,
And that "zippy" little cartridge.

I just checked and sgammo.com has FMJ ammo for 54-cents per round,,,
If my memory serves me (and it often doesn't),,,
The prices have gone down recently.

I could afford to shoot this rifle,,,
Aarond

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will add this for those considering the PS-90. Breaking one down and cleaning is very easy, yet disappointing. There's quite a bit of Plastic in there. You can buy metal parts, but they get pretty pricey and are not FNH.
I will add this, the fun is firing a rifle used in many science fiction movies and used by the Secret Service. It's easy to shoot and has good ergonomics (at least for me.) If one buys a PS 90, one needs a red dot to , and not a cheap one. On a budget and like the round, get the Kel Tec. Really really on a budget, get the CMR30 and a PMR30 in 22 Magnum, but don't expect the round to be as zippy and have as much stopping power.

Latest posts

Top Bottom