Anyone have experience with Kevin Toothman of USSA 1911's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toothman builds a fantastically detailed handcrafted gun. Kevin insists that everything is "just right". Does this make a difference to an average or better than average shooter? Maybe or maybe not. You're getting just that little extra edge with a Kevin-built gun. A gun that's built just right from the get-go will stay tight noticeably longer than a looser-built semi-custom gun.

If you can afford a Kevin gun, get one. If you get that semi-custom, understand that it will loosen up quicker and require more parts replacement sooner. I have a high end semi-custom that has leaded the barrel from day one; it still does 30,000+ rounds later. I'm going to put a Bar-Sto into it some day before long.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And this is merely your opinion, which enough people disagree with to keep $3,500 custom 1911 gunsmiths in business. Does a Wilson CQB or Nighthawk Custom (which are approaching $3K these days) have a Schuemann barrel? Does it have Acc-U-Rails? Does it have the very best quality fire control parts? Is it put together with absolute precision, which takes a lot of time? The answer is no. I've shot all of them and there is a perceptible difference. Whether it's worth it to the individual is up to them.

To be honest, some people can't tell the difference. They're just not at a level that it would make any difference in their shooting results. Then again, some do see an improvement, just because of their confidence in knowing that their equipment is top notch.

Neither yields measurably superior performance than the other. A custom and a very nice $2500 brand X both work great, they both have very durable parts, they both shoot ragged one hole groups. Is one any more valuable than the other? No. Getting a custom gun is purely a luxury. They do nothing different. If you can afford it, you might have it made more to your tastes, but it will not be measurably better than a very nice $2500 brand X.

I love mine, but is it worth more than a $2500 brand X? No.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a line between tool and art. If you look at 1911 as a tool there is a point of diminishing returns. With art - sky is the limit.

Best raw parts kit you can buy will run you $1000-1500. Qualified gunsmith can hand fit those part to PERFECTION (no possible improvement) in 15 hours - let's say at $60/hr; ie you can have absolutely best 1911 "tool" for around $2200. If you are paying more - you are paying for "the name", "belts and whistles" or "piece of art". If you are paying an extra $1000 - I'd really like to know what exactly gets done for another 16 hours of labor on top of the 15 already spent.

Of course you can also apply "Ferrari" mentality to it: it's expensive - it must be good! The fact that a Corvette will run circles around it for 1/4 of the price has little effect on Ferrari owners since the illusion of performance is already paid for.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does a very skilled or well known person's $3500 1911 yield measurably superior performance when compared to brand X's $2500 1911?

A bit off-topic, but I personally think those $2,500 semi-customs are way overpriced when you can get an Accurate Iron gun in that price range!

Latest posts

Top Bottom