Anyone seen this 38spl ammo before

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a box of Winchester ranger 38spl +p+ with similar markings. I bet it’s just +p+ stuff. Which I never really understood. You typically can’t put that stuff through a 38spl revolver, and if you’re using a 357 mag revolver to shoot ammo that gets you 357mag performance, you might as well shoot 357mag.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a box of Winchester ranger 38spl +p+ with similar markings. I bet it’s just +p+ stuff. Which I never really understood. You typically can’t put that stuff through a 38spl revolver, and if you’re using a 357 mag revolver to shoot ammo that gets you 357mag performance, you might as well shoot 357mag.
I will have to agree to a point sometimes 38 is easier to come by compared to the 357 so sometimes you have to take what you can get.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I started with the sheriff's department in CO in the late 80s this was the issue ammo along with Federal Nyclads in .357Mag. I still have this box of the Win +P+ stuff and some of the Nyclad.

I started carrying a 4" GP-100 and I can tell you the Win +P+ is not nearly as stout as .357 Mag ammo. There is a distinct difference when shooting it.

Win +P+.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

rustyaa55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are MANY 38 spcl revolvers rated for +p+. When i bought the reintroduction S&W Centenial we were shocked to see it was rated for +p+. That is a J frame! *OP - Did you try WINCHESTER Western Customer Service?

Firemedic712

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are MANY 38 spcl revolvers rated for +p+. When i bought the reintroduction S&W Centenial we were shocked to see it was rated for +p+. That is a J frame! *OP - Did you try WINCHESTER Western Customer Service?
No I didn't. Not that important to me, just starting a convo to see if anyone knew about this stuff

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find it interesting that there is really no standard for what +P or +P+ ammo is . Some of it really is hot business and some of it not any hotter than other standard pistol ammunition. I have a pretty good stash of Israeli 9mm which is by all accounts substantially hotter than regualr 9x19 so much I won't shoot it in a handgun , at the time as I recall it was supposedly intended for sub guns .

rustyaa55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
LEO Ammo has been around for years. Is only sold to Police distributors. Dealers can only sell to LE by contract. Sometimes special bullets (remember BLACK TALON?) The LE Ammo has coating on powder to reduce muzzle flash. Manufacturers finally started using that coating on our high end defensive ammo. A friend told me all U.S. Military ammo has had that coating for a long time. He should know. I typically grab any LE ammo i can. It would be easy to defend its' use in court. BTW - Have a mostly full box of original SUPER VEL 357 MAG. Won't shoot that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom