Anyone shot a Chiappa 1911-22?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang! I went to go pick one up today but Mark at Sooner Guns was out. I put my name on the list, so I'll get back with pictures as soon as he gets it in.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got it today! $279.79 plus tax.

First impressions in no particular good/bad order:

Finish not that great, but completely fine considering its reputation for reliability and accuracy. They had to skimp somewhere.

The mag release is plastic and of a poor quality. It's very stiff to engage. I'll need to file it down to be comfortable.

The rear sight is dovetailed, and the front is either pinned in or completely attached. The front sight is meant to be filed down to sight in. You'd think Chiappa could've put some decent work into that.

The grips are laser etched and look pretty darn cool. Apparently "Chiappa" was too hard for people to say so they've started marketing the gun as a "Puma" 1911.

It's hefty, which is good.

The slide tolerance isn't tight, but it's not overly loose.

It takes down like a normal 1911.

It doesn't have a grip safety, which is okay by me, but I do have one beef with it; it still fires from the half-cock position. I don't have extensive knowledge with 1911s, so could someone tell me if regular 1911s are able to drop the hammer from the half-cock position?

The trigger is very stout. I hear this loosens up after break in.

The magazines are polymer, but seem to be of a high quality. Extra magazines are about $20.

The feed ramp needs some serious polishing. I've never done it before so I'll need to do some research.

The rear dovetailed sight was set far to the right out of the box. Easy enough to fix.

The body style is a WWII design.

I won't be able to shoot it until this weekend at the earliest, but I'll be able to get some high quality pictures up before then.

Knowing all the rough edge stuff before I bought it, I'm happy with the purchase. We'll see if that sticks after I shoot it.

I'm looking forward to the GSG 1911 .22 coming out so I can compare them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom