Anyone Target Alligator Gar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of you guys fish for these things specifically? I've wanted to the last couple of years but I'm usually fishing for bass, crappie or catfish. Seems like I could never fit it in. Now after reading about the new 192lb state record caught on the Red River on January 27 and a 327lb monster netted in Mississippi on Valentines Day I know I'm setting aside some days to specifically target these fish.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about now, but in the late 90's you could get a guide on Grand Lake to go after gar.
There is even a lure called a gar getter, that I have in my tackle box.
Its just a wad of nylon rope that is unraveled that gets hooked into their teeth/bill.

I never went, but they told me the guides would go out during the time gar were in schools, to throw these lures. They would think they were shad or bait fish and eat them.

Side note: They are quite tasty, as they only eat live fish, but a pain to clean.
I use a machete to hack them into slices across their length, and then take a knife and cut out the hide, and then fillet the meat from the bones.
I've served it on fish fries, and never had a complaint.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about now, but in the late 90's you could get a guide on Grand Lake to go after gar.
There is even a lure called a gar getter, that I have in my tackle box.
Its just a wad of nylon rope that is unraveled that gets hooked into their teeth/bill.

I never went, but they told me the guides would go out during the time gar were in schools, to throw these lures. They would think they were shad or bait fish and eat them.

Side note: They are quite tasty, as they only eat live fish, but a pain to clean.
I use a machete to hack them into slices across their length, and then take a knife and cut out the hide, and then fillet the meat from the bones.
I've served it on fish fries, and never had a complaint.

We have quite a few back water areas around here that harbor some large gar. I know I've seen some that are close to the 7' range. Some of these places are rarely ever fished because people aren't willing to take the risks of snakes. Other places on occasion are flooded when the Washita River or Lake Texoma floods trapping these large fish.

I've actually seen that gar lure before. Its been a long time but a now defunct tackle store here use to sell them or ones similar. Pretty neat lure.

Finally! Someone who has eaten a gar. I've always heard they were quite tasty and a definite pain in the backside to clean.I'm absolutely willing to them a try and I'll be using your method of cleaning them. Thats the best method I've heard about so far.

kh496f

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I catch gar quite often toward the middle of may through june during their spawn and while they surface the most... Not any alligator gar.. mostly just spotted and shortnose.. The meat is not bad.. Its gotta be eaten while its still hot or else it kinda taste like chicken fat.

This is going to be the easiest and most efficient way to clean one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yQceA9n6Xw

The gar lures are a blast to use.. and gar put up quite a fight. Gotta be really careful when handling the smaller ones.. usually wrap a towel around them with picking them up as when they struggle they tend to spin which can turn your hands into ground beef..

Ken

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to fish for them quite a bit. Haven't done it in years. They are a KICK to catch, tons of fun. I never ate them though, just tossed 'em back.

No reason to buy a special lure to catch them. I made my own with a lead sinker and length of frayed nylon rope. They don't seem to be real picky about what the lure looks like.

-S

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never fished for them, but I've seen some extremely large carcasses at Appalachia Bay on Keystone when we used to ride there. The Corps would drop the water level to work on the damn up to 20 feet, not sure what caused it but I would see several 4-5' carcasses on the beach, assumed they were alligator due to the snout/teeth.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never fished for them, but I've seen some extremely large carcasses at Appalachia Bay on Keystone when we used to ride there. The Corps would drop the water level to work on the damn up to 20 feet, not sure what caused it but I would see several 4-5' carcasses on the beach, assumed they were alligator due to the snout/teeth.

Shouldn't be finding any Alligator Gar in Keystone. Or anywhere else in OK other than in the Red River or a Trib flowing into the Red.

Latest posts

Top Bottom